Speed issues for restore 16 hours!

briant

Overall very happy with my Retrospect. 7.6.

However speed is a major in any restore scenario on my PC.

First to either do a system restore or find files restore, it takes for the first step about 8 hours for 250 Gb. And the second approximately the same time.

This used to be much less. And I think the problems started when I got some time ago the Continuous Backup option. I quickly relaised this was not for me, and tried to uninstall, but never received good advice from technical support. Nor did I find info in the Knolwedge base.

So my question why so long to do a restore (around 16 hours) I did it r3ecently and thanks God it worked. But 16 hours is too long. Earlier it might be 30 minutes.

What can I do what is wrong? Could i9t be remanats of Continuous back up wosening the performanced? Using Windows XP and backing up to a fixed hard drive D, and also using Netgear NAS Duo.

Edited by Guest

1) not responding in retrospect menu bar , same also in task manager - but I persisted becasue it was important and after 16 hours a reward. My files restored.

Re solutions

2)I am not sure Continuous Back up has been completely elinminated from my system. This could be a cause.

It would be good to eliminate this. It sill shows up under the automate menu - continous backup.

And sometimes the welcome dark black recatngle.

Of course other ideas would appreciate .

Of course with this speed for restore, a miracle is necessary because it requires hardware and software to be capable of working error free over a period of 16 hours.

So could I receive some fast assistance please!

At least to begin with how to completelly eradicate all traces of Continuous Back up anywhere and everywhere in my system.

Thanks hopefully for a fast response.

Britinswe

Robin

1) I ahave asked several times now. How to delete every instance of "Continuous Back up" and I am not getting an answer.

Please give me one ASAP.Or do you not know about this????

2) I dont think your response is very helpful. I have already stated matching is slow 8 hours plus. Much, much slowere than it used to be before I installed the Continuous Back up add.in.

So please take these as facts and give me some concrete suggestions for remedying this in addition to detailed steps on removing all traces of the CB. as per 1) above.

3) Typical log info for restoring

+ Executing Searching and Retrieval at 8/13/2009 2:10 AM

To volume OneTouch F (L:)...

- 8/13/2009 2:10:23 AM: Retrieving from BU C to NAS 2 April

8/13/2009 11:31:28 AM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 625017 files, 744.7 GB

Completed: 87125 files, 96.4 GB

Performance: 177.9 MB/minute

Duration: 09:21:05 (00:06:41 idle/loading/preparing)

Exit at 8/13/2009 11:31 AM

BLM

Thanks for response. Performance is same when retrieving from an external USB.

Am convinced that CB is a partial culpit, but despite asking Robin a couple of times to supply info on total elimination of all traces. Zero response.

I have the latest Driver and Update for 7.6.123

+ Retrospect version 7.6.123

Launched at 2009-08-14 19:41

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.2.101

Performance with USB

+ Executing Searching and Retrieval at 8/13/2009 2:10 AM

To volume OneTouch F (L:)...

- 8/13/2009 2:10:23 AM: Retrieving from BU C to NAS 2 April

8/13/2009 11:31:28 AM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 625017 files, 744.7 GB

Completed: 87125 files, 96.4 GB

Performance: 177.9 MB/minute

Duration: 09:21:05 (00:06:41 idle/loading/preparing)

Exit at 8/13/2009 11:31 AM

Brian (britinswe),

Perhaps you misunderstand. These forums are user-to-user support. From the Retrospect Forum Rules / Terms of Use

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

We are just Retrospect users like you are.

If you are looking for a response from Retrospect support, I suggest you contact EMC Retrospect Support:

Contact EMC Retrospect Support

If you don't have a support contract, then the support is on a per-incident fee basis.

Russ

Brian,

And please accept my apology if I appeared condescending or reprimanding, because that wasn't my intent at all. I saw your frustration, which was the reason I responded.

If I had known the answers to your questions I would have answered your questions. Because I have no familiarity with the RCB product, I didn't want to speculate or provide misinformation.

Have a great weekend.

Russ

Hi, your problem could very well be related to your NAS's network performance with Retrospect together with the limitations of a USB-target.

Depending on the amount of matching that needs to be done and the amount and sizes of files involved. Local storage is much faster than a CIFS share (and with local storage I rather mean internal drives on your SATA, SCSI or SAS controller). And even though your ReadyNAS Duo is a nice machine, it's not very fast (I actually own one, so I have some experience with it).

To test this you would need to copy the NAS's contents to local storage and use those copied backup sets for a restore. And compare the results.

Also with a lot of external USB 2.0 drives they are not as fast in reality than they are on paper. Depending on how you connect to your USB drive write caching is also slower performing.

Something else: Are you running on a gigabit network? A slower 100Mbit network would slow you down even further.

So to sum it up, you seem to have two bottlenecks:

- NAS as a source

- USB-drive as a target

There are more variables, like how fast is your cpu, how much RAM is available, is compression and/or encryption used, etc.

So I don't think it's Continuos Backup in your case that's slowing down everything.

Ramon thank you for your informed response.

I am a philosopher and not technically sleek!.

However, NAS restore speed is not a problwem. But earleir I have successfully used USB for back up and restore. And also local D drive same as my C drive. So this has nothing to do with networks or NAS.

My conclusions are;

A. Retrospect 7.6 some time over the last year has become significatly slower.

Or

B. Remants of Continuous Backup are undermining the normally speedy operations of Retrospect.

I belive the latter, installation was a mess (faulty links and instructions from technial support). In response to my question to technial support, I was referred to a Mirosoft cleanup utliity. Which needless to say did not clean it usp as from time to time remnants of the CB splash screen make their unwelcome appearance.

At the moment I think Retrospect when it comes to uninstallation of CB is in the same position as Norton AntiVirus a few years ago. They don't know how it can be completely, totally and irrevocably uninstaled.

Thanks once again Ramon.

If any user know how to "destroy" CB please let me know!.

britinswe

For thorough Windows cleaning I sometimes use the free program CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

However this program is not without risks and you need to be a bit into Windows and such, as it can clean out your registry very well (use multiple passes). And do make a good image backup beforehand. Never needed that, but you never know.