I am getting the message: "Trouble writing folder Adobe, error -5000 (server: no privileges)" When backing up a Windows machine from my Mac. I don't know whether this means the problem is on the Mac side or the Windows side. The backup volume has read/write authority for everyone on the Mac side. Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

Any ideas how to solve this?

You're simply going to have to provide more specific information about what you're using, what you're doing, and what you're saying.

For example (but not limited to):

- What Type of Backup Set is begin used?

- What Media is being used to house the backed up data?

- Is this an error in the log, or an error that is stopping the backup?

- Does the Operations Log identify the specific file being reported?

- How far along in the backup does it get?

- Does it always error on the same item?

Note that this is a trouble writing error, making the question of the Type of Backup Set all the more important.

Dave

>For example (but not limited to):

>- What Type of Backup Set is begin used?

a Duplicate Set

>- What Media is being used to house the backed up data?

A hard drive.

- Is this an error in the log, or an error that is stopping the backup?

This is in the log and, yes, it stops the backup. That's the problem.

>- Does the Operations Log identify the specific file being reported?

No. Like I said, it just has this text:

Trouble writing folder Adobe, error -5000 (server: no privileges)

>- How far along in the backup does it get?

Just to this point.

>- Does it always error on the same item?

Yes.

Note that this is a trouble writing error, making the question of the Type of Backup Set all the more important.

>- What Type of Backup Set is begin used?

a Duplicate Set

There is no such thing. The types are:

Tape

CD/DVD

Internet

Removable Disk

File

>- How far along in the backup does it get?

Just to this point.

Is it during scanning? Or has it started copying files? How many files?

>>- What Type of Backup Set is begin used?

>>a Duplicate Set

>There is no such thing. The types are:

>Tape

>CD/DVD

>Internet

>Removable Disk

>File

I don't know what you mean by a 'backup set'. The type of script I have is 'Duplicate'. The 'Destination' for the backup is a subfolder on my backup hard drive. Nowhere is 'backup set' mentioned.

>>- How far along in the backup does it get?

>>Just to this point.

>Is it during scanning?

No. As I said, it copies to this point.

Or has it started copying files? How >many files?

I'm giving you all the information it's giving me. Here's the entire log for this script:

- 7/10/2009 10:23:46 AM: Copying WINDOWS (C:) on Windows…

7/10/2009 10:26:37 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 44686 files, 2.7 GB

Completed: 2 files, 206 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:02:51 (00:00:08 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 7/10/2009 10:26 AM

That's all there is. I'm using version 6.1.230 of Retrospect.

The type of script I have is 'Duplicate'. The 'Destination' for the backup is a subfolder on my backup hard drive.

I see. In your first post you wrote "backup", which is an entirely different beast than a "Duplicate".

OK, the user running Retrospect doesn't have access rights to the subfolder in question. I bet you will get the same error if you try to copy files to that folder using the Finder, too.

You have to correct your permissions to that folder.

I don't know what you mean by a 'backup set'. The type of script I have is 'Duplicate'. The 'Destination' for the backup is a subfolder on my backup hard drive. Nowhere is 'backup set' mentioned.

Randy, the following Knowledge Base article might be helpful to you to understand the difference between a "Backup" (which it appears that you are not doing) and a "Duplicate" (which it appears that you are doing):

What is the difference between Backup and Duplicate?

The two are very different animals, with no similarity.

Russ

>the user running Retrospect doesn't have access rights to the >subfolder in question. I bet you will get the same error if you try >to copy files to that folder using the Finder, too.

>You have to correct your permissions to that folder.

I understand that. I have been running Retrospect duplicate backups for over 10 years.

No, I do not get the same error doing a Finder copy. Keep in mind that I am backing up from a Windows volume.

The problem I have with Retrospect is its poor reporting.

1. It doesn't say whether the problem is with the folder being copied from or the folder being copied to.

2. It doesn't give the full path to the folder. I have two folders called Adobe on the Windows volume and I don't know which one.

3. It just quits at this point and doesn't copy everything else.

This is very poor performance by Retrospect. There is nothing wrong with either Adobe folder on Windows. I can do whatever I want with either folder, including manually copying them to the Mac. The log doesn't tell me which folder is bad, what exactly is wrong, or how to fix it.

>following Knowledge Base article might be helpful to you to >understand the difference between a "Backup" (which it appears >that you are not doing) and a "Duplicate" (which it appears that >you are doing):

>The two are very different animals, with no similarity.

I understand exactly how a Duplicate works. I have been doing them for over 10 years. I used the term 'backup' in its generic sense, since that's what I'm doing - backing up my files. I didn't realize people on this forum would be so picky about the terms. I'm doing a 'duplicate'. I guess I won't say 'duplicate backup' any more.

1. It doesn't say whether the problem is with the folder being copied from or the folder being copied to.

2. It doesn't give the full path to the folder. I have two folders called Adobe on the Windows volume and I don't know which one.

3. It just quits at this point and doesn't copy everything else.

1. Since it tells you "trouble writing", it must be the destination.

2. Since there are only two, use the Finder to copy these from the source to the destination. Do you get an error?

I used the term 'backup' in its generic sense, since that's what I'm doing - backing up my files. I didn't realize people on this forum would be so picky about the terms.

We're not picky. You wrote "backup" which is a specific command in Retrospect. You did not tell us which command you used, so we had to assume you did what you wrote. We're not mind readers.

>1. Since it tells you "trouble writing", it must be the destination.

That's what I would have thought, but Retrospect created all the folders for the backup, so why would it have problems? Why would it only have problems with this one folder and why just this one from a Windows volume and not all the other folders being duplicated from Windows and Mac volumes?

>2. Since there are only two, use the Finder to copy these from >the source to the destination. Do you get an error?

I did. No problem. That's what odd. I can't see what Retrospect is doing differently.

I guess my biggest question is what the lack of a path means.

I have had other messages like this in the past, but they indicated a path, which let me identify the file/folder in question.

Does anyone at Retrospect know what it means when it lists a folder without a path?

Thanks to all.

Keep the option key pressed when clicking on the Preferences button to access the "secret" preferences.

Click on "File System" and check the first checkbox. See attched screenshot.

I did that and this is what I get:

FscDirNewU: FSCreateDirectoryUnicode("Ruby-186-26") failed, error -5000

Trouble writing folder Ruby-186-26, error -5000 (server: no privileges)

This is the folder I'm getting the message on now. I was able to get rid of the problem with the Adobe folder by deleting all the Adobe folders in my backup volume. The problem is, I can't even find a folder with this name. Of course, if the error is in creating the folder, that would make sense. Is it objecting to the dashes in the name? I thought those were allowable characters.

Keep the option key pressed when clicking on the Preferences button to access the "secret" preferences.

Click on "File System" and check the first checkbox. See attched screenshot.

I did that and this is what I get:

FscDirNewU: FSCreateDirectoryUnicode("Ruby-186-26") failed' date=' error -5000

Trouble writing folder Ruby-186-26, error -5000 (server: no privileges)

This is the folder I'm getting the message on now. I was able to get rid of the problem with the Adobe folder by deleting all the Adobe folders in my backup volume. The problem is, I can't even find a folder with this name. Of course, if the error is in creating the folder, that would make sense. Is it objecting to the dashes in the name? I thought those were allowable characters.[/quote']

How about it Retrospect? How about an official response to why this isn't working? This clearly appears to be a bug, since there's nothing I can do to control it and the name is a valid name.

How about it Retrospect? How about an official response to why this isn't working? This clearly appears to be a bug, since there's nothing I can do to control it and the name is a valid name.
I understand exactly how a Duplicate works. I have been doing them for over 10 years.

Randy, despite your extensive knowledge and experience, you seem to misunderstand how these forums work. These are user-to-user forums, and are not the official way to contact Retrospect support. From the forum rules:

Retrospect forum rules

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

But of course, because of your extensive experience, you already knew that.

When I tried to help you, you came back with a snippy post about how you know everything. When Lennart tried to help and suggested you open a support incident, you ignored that suggestion. When Dave and Lennart tried to gather more information that was missing from your original post, you indicated that your expertise was so great that you took offense at their questions.

You've run off the users who were trying to help you. I suggest, as Lennart did, that you open a support incident. You won't find the "official response" that you are seeking in these forums.

Good luck,

Russ