Where's the compression option in Retrospect 8?

Hi all,

I've only just bought v8.0 (build 736.1), and I don't seem to be able to find a compression option like there is on v6.1 - am I missing something, or is it on by default?

Also, DVD-RAM disks are these treated as 'Disk Media Sets' or 'Optical Media Sets'? I suspect Disk Sets should be used.

Cheers Impala.

[To EMC2 Retrospect people]

So I have to run a script to get compression on my backup!? (tut, tut)

I have to say that this is not very user friendly - what was wrong with having a setting in the preferences panel? Surely that was much easier to switch on and off when needed, than having to do it via a script, which is too rigid!!! Come on Retrospect programmers, you can do better than that.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth.

Edited by Guest

every action in v8 is a script. Think of the big "backup; copy; restore" buttons at the top as script wizards.

yeah, I wouldn't mind setting a global preference that you could override per script. I would argue that the compression option should be attached to the backup media set just like encryption is, but some people see it differently.

http://forums.dantz.com//showpost.php?post/121683/

Just updating you all... starting my first backup, via scripts, all seems fine so far. To my surprise, even doing a manual backup creates a script!

I think Retrospect 8 needs some fine tuning in the need version, not surprising, ie. the fore mentioned compression option, and 2 NEW ones:

1) needs the backup disk recognition to be a bit faster;

2) For some reason, a favourites folder within the System Libraries, eg. preferences, does not show up in a pre-made script!? :confused2:

Edited by Guest

I don't seem to be able to find a compression option like there is on v6.1
On the scripts page select a script and click the Options tab. There you have the option for data compression in software.
[To EMC2 Retrospect people]

So I have to run a script to get compression on my backup!? (tut, tut)

I have to say that this is not very user friendly - what was wrong with having a setting in the preferences panel?

I'm confused. This is done the same way in Retrospect 8 that it has been done since at least Retrospect 2.0, and this approach makes software compression selectable on a per-script basis, as needed, rather than global. What "preferences panel" setting from Retrospect 6 are you missing here?

Russ

What's missing (and I agree with this) is that if you run the backup wizard, there's no way to specify you want to have software compression on that backup.

That's what's missing and was an option in Retrospect 6 if you did an "immediate backup".

What's missing (and I agree with this) is that if you run the backup wizard, there's no way to specify you want to have software compression on that backup.

That's what's missing and was an option in Retrospect 6 if you did an "immediate backup".

I didn't seen any mention of either "immediate backup" or "backup wizard" in the problem statement or any of the posts; telepathy is not one of my talents.

I've never done an "immediate backup" except during testing, so I wouldn't have missed this. And we have never done software compression, either; we have always used the hardware compression in the tape drive (we only do tape backups, since Retrospect 2.0).

Russ

Retrospect 6.1

Backup --> Immediate Backup --> Options -- "Data Compression (in software)"

That's a default option in Retro 6

That's what's missing in Retro 8.x -- using the "Backup Assistant" to back something up will *not* enable software compression by default -- and it should.