Catalog file getting damaged again and again

We are using Retrospect7.6.123 version.

One time out catalog file got corrupt. Then we repaired catalog files and then started backups. Backups started happening successfully. But again catalog file got corrupt.

Can please somebody help me out why is this happening again and again?

Its very urgent. I am unable to take my backup.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you repair the catalog? What steps? What type of backup set? What operating system? What path do you use when saving the catalog file?

Ansr:

Went to Tools>Repair catalog, then selected the disk which contained the backupset, then started repairing.

It got repaired successfully.

Disk type backup set

Windows 2003

D:\IT Catalog file

We use the above path to sace the catalog file.

There would only be two options wouldn't there? Repair existing Catalog file or create a new one.

I always create a new one as repairing these things is buggy as hell and often simply wastes a day of my time.

I'm repairing another catalog today, my "Friday backup" drive as it managed to corrupt itself again. Once these things corrupt it causes MASSIVE problems as not only are several hours spent rebuilding it, I then need to backup all the servers missed over night during the working day.

Retrospect SERIOUSLY need to fix this problem as it's being going on for years and it appears to be thought of as 'acceptable' by EMC engineers!?

Rich

Retrospect SERIOUSLY need to fix this problem as it's being going on for years and it appears to be thought of as 'acceptable' by EMC engineers!?

I'm sure the problem can be fixed as soon as you (or any other person) comes up with a step-by-step instruction on how the problem can be reproduced by the EMC engineers on any hardware, not just yours.

This is not a true statement you give here.

This error is not hardware related, but is 100% caused by a bug in retrospect. I get this error every 7/14 days on one of my backup sets when it gets groomed.

We have replaced everything except the retrospect software and still see this issue.

I personal believe this error should be a top priority fix.

This is a reply from tech support when I confronted them with this:

"Grooming is not perfect. For some customers it works 100% of the time. For others it works 50% or less. For me, I will sometimes need to do 2 catalog rebuilds before I can finish a really big grooming operation.

The larger the backup set, the greater the chance grooming will fail and require a catalog rebuild. For now, all we can do is suggest they try catalog rebuilds between grooming attempts until all needed data is groomed or switch to a strategy of recycle backups along with Snapshot Transfers to new sets.

We will be looking at the grooming feature, but I don't expect bug fixes to happen until the next major release at the earliest. "

Regards

Robert

Lennart, I take it from that response that you have never had to rebuild a catalog? The EMC guys on here have had to rebuild their own catalogs, so they must know EXACTLY why it is occuring! (or at least should be able to analyse the problem).

Holy cow Robert, nice 'support' response!

Rich

Edited by Guest

Lennart, I take it from that response that you have never had to rebuild a catalog?

Unfortunately, I have to rebuild catalogs every once in a while. As a software engineer, I know it's almost impossible to fix something that isn't reproduceable with a reasonably high probability. So a way to reproduce this problem is what I challenged you to provide. ;)

I have one disk backup set now that refuses to rebuild correctly due to a damaged file. (The file was damaged due to failing hardware, not Retrospect's fault.) BUT, there is no way to rebuild successfully, so I have to do a recycle this week. Sigh.

Lennart,

You are correct and yes it can be very hard to track down periodicly bugs. We code our own PoS systems and we do also have bugs.

But when a customer is saying to us there is a periodicly fault/bug we do not deny it and we investigate it hard until a resolution a found on our own equitment.

It seems as EMC keeps saying it´s hardware related and not there fault dispite many customers have complained about this issue.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richy,

I also used recreate from Disks option, but again catalog file got corrupted after 10-15 days. I don't know why is this happening. Can somebody help me out. We need to resolve this matter urgently and i am unable to find any solution.

I dont know if its a best practice, but I tend to break-up my backups into smaller sets if possible. Instead of backing up an entire server in one set organize a couple of sets for that one server, so they are more manageable, and if something where to happen to the catalog, it is much quicker to recover...