content unrecognized

valeris

Hello guys,

I have following problem:

There is tape named "1-sql" (really the name does not matter, following is right for all tapes). When backup starts, tape is loading into the drive and i can see it in retrospect as "unknown" (status field has message "content unrecognized"). Retrospect asking to insert new tape which will be marked as "1-sql". Ok, ejecting tape, closing retrospect, starting retrospect again and tape is again in it's slot with proper name. Cicle.

Have you any ideas how to fix the problem?

PS Retrospect 7.6.11, Tandberg StorageLoader, Tandberg Ultrium 2 DC.

Content Unrecognized means that this tape does not contain a header that is readable by Retrospect. This happens when the tape was last used with different backup software or when a tape is physically damaged. It can also happen if the tape heads are dirty on the tape drive or when the tape drive is failing.

If this happens to all Retrospect tapes, then you have a hardware problem. If it only happens to 1 tape, then the tape may be bad.

• 2 months later...

So what is the solution to a tape that is coming up "Content Unrecognized"?

I have an AIT tape deck that I've been using for years. According to the log, Retrospect 5 is writing and verifying the data just fine. But as soon as I put the tape back into the drive to recover some data, I'm getting the "Content Unrecognized" error.

In all the research I've been finding, it sounds like I've just lost a whole tape worth of data. Given how much Retrospect brags themselves to be so amazing, I find it hard to believe that I've simply lost all of that data... there has to be a solution someplace as the tape holds legitimate data... Or am I wrong on this?

So what is the solution to a tape that is coming up "Content Unrecognized"?

I have an AIT tape deck that I've been using for years. According to the log, Retrospect 5 is writing and verifying the data just fine. But as soon as I put the tape back into the drive to recover some data, I'm getting the "Content Unrecognized" error.

In all the research I've been finding, it sounds like I've just lost a whole tape worth of data. Given how much Retrospect brags themselves to be so amazing, I find it hard to believe that I've simply lost all of that data... there has to be a solution someplace as the tape holds legitimate data... Or am I wrong on this?

Retrospect 5, isn't that the Mac version? The Windows version can't read Mac media and vice versa.

Try restoring from the Mac version.

I have been using nothing but a Mac for all of this work. I have backed up the data using Mac Retrospect 5, and am attempting to recover it using Mac Retrospect 5 (same machine & deck).

My primary machine has the deck connected via a SCSI connection. I have separate Mac using a Firewire drive, and come up with the same results when trying to restore the data.

I have received this error on a handful of my nearly 100 AIT tapes, which leads me to believe that the deck(s), Retrospect, and my Mac machines are all in good operational order. Or am I wrong in thinking that?

But the root question is, how do you recover from the "Content Unrecognized" error when you know that the content was written to the tape with the exact same infrastructure and that the data was written and verified by Retrospect? Likewise, how can I trust Retrospect in the future when it tells me the data has been verified?

Media dies. Tape has a relatively short life. We don't know anything about how you stored the tape, the quality of the tape, the care you gave the drive between when the tape was written and now, or how used the tape was when you made the backup.

You can trust Retrospect to correctly tell you that it was able to verify the data at the time it tried. Retrospect cannot predict when media will die. The fact that a tape drive is able to read media without error at one time is no guarantee that it will be able to read it in the future. Perhaps the head on your tape drive became worn or out of alignment. You may need to clean the heads.

Example: Put the tape drive in a crusher, destroy the drive. Blame Retrospect that it can't read tapes on the drive?

Example: Tape snaps. Blame Retrospect that it can't read the snapped tape on the drive?

I have been using nothing but a Mac for all of this work. I have backed up the data using Mac Retrospect 5, and am attempting to recover it using Mac Retrospect 5 (same machine & deck).

Is there a reason you posted this in a thread in the Windows forum?

Russ

My apologies for crossing the Mac/PC line. I was searching previous posts for the same issue that I had... "Content Unrecognized", and thought that I would see if I could find any help.

I'm sorry that I'm not welcomed in the PC club house. I didn't realize that it even made a difference, as I assumed that Retrospect worked rather similarly across the platform line, like most all cross platform software.

And to clarify, I do understand the difference between physical destruction and software issues. So I'm sorry but I will disregard your Examples as my tape is in fine physical shape; not even a scratch to be seen with a magnifying glass.

I agree with you that nothing is a 100% guarantee in life, and that things do fail over time. On that note though, tape is expected to have a much longer life span than say a Hard Drive, and is more resilient to damage than an optical option. So I am a bit appalled that the primary tape that I'm having issues with is only 3 or 4 months old.

But seeing as I am a Mac, and I guess I don't belong on this side of the fence, and I have yet to get an actual response from the company's own web forum regarding my issue, I might as well follow your example and not only place my drive in a crusher, but also snap the tape in hopes that it will all magically work and make my life all better.

Thank You for the positive and intelligent advice.

I'm sorry that I'm not welcomed in the PC club house. I didn't realize that it even made a difference, as I assumed that Retrospect worked rather similarly across the platform line, like most all cross platform software.
Just buy the Windows version and you are welcome.
So I am a bit appalled that the primary tape that I'm having issues with is only 3 or 4 months old.
Since you created the tape with Retrospect 5, we (wrongly) assumed the tape was as old as that version (several years).
But seeing as I am a Mac, and I guess I don't belong on this side of the fence
That's correct, since you won't find many Retrospect for Mac users hanging out in the Windows section of the forum.
I have yet to get an actual response from the company's own web forum regarding my issue
Despite what you apparently thinks, this is a user-to-user forum and we try to answer YOUR questions on OUR spare time.
I might as well follow your example and not only place my drive in a crusher, but also snap the tape in hopes that it will all magically work and make my life all better.

Thank You for the positive and intelligent advice.

No need to be sarcastic. We are trying to help you on OUR spare time.

If you want support, please pay for a support incident. If it indeed is a bug, you get a refund.

Edited by Guest