Which tape was a backup ran to?

Hello,

I have a problem that seems like it should be very simple.. I have a large tape library that I do weekly transfers to from disk based backups. I have several backup sets with a number of tapes assigned to each set. The transfers run successfully, but when I come in on Monday morning I can't figure out which tape the transfer was actually ran to so that I can take it offiste. If I look at the Operations Log for a specific transfer it will give me the name of the backup set, but not the individual tape names or barcodes. If I look at the properties for a backup set I can see how much of each backup set member is used but not which job used the space.

How do I determine which tapes a transfer job used?

Thanks

The library has two drives, and several backups are ran over the weekend.. Only the last tapes used in the last two backup jobs would still be in the drive.

So let's say I have 5 tapes that are members of a backup set. The transfer uses 1 tape plus an unknown amount of a second one. All five tapes have been in the library for a few weeks and each tape shows that it has at least some space utilized. How do I determine which tapes were used in the most recent backup? If the third tape in the set was mostly full at the start of the last backup then it is possible that the most recent backup is spanned across three tapes now. How would I find that out?

Under Reports there is a Database backup history which if I open up the properties for a backup history it gives a section called "Media required to restore from scratch:" with a list of individual tapes. This is exactly what I need, but I can't figure out how I obtain this information for non-database backups.

Thanks

So let's say I have 5 tapes that are members of a backup set. The transfer uses 1 tape plus an unknown amount of a second one. All five tapes have been in the library for a few weeks and each tape shows that it has at least some space utilized. How do I determine which tapes were used in the most recent backup? If the third tape in the set was mostly full at the start of the last backup then it is possible that the most recent backup is spanned across three tapes now. How would I find that out?

The short answer is to take ALL tapes belonging to the backup set off site.

You can check Backup Set Properties-->Members. There you can see when each tape was "created".