Retrospect reports clock/calendar wrong

I recently returned from a trip and while away had my Quadra 650 (OS 7.6.1, 72MB RAM) shut down. I have been using my Retrospect 4.0 for quite some time on a daily basis. Now when I open Retrospect it gives me the message "Your Macintosh clock/calendar appears to be wrong. Please confirm the date and time."

Problem is that the date and time displayed in the error message *is* correct. In fact, I keep the time on my Mac very accurate using _Network Time_. If I click on the "Set clock" button in the dialog box it doesn't help. (The only other choice to click is "Quit".)

Suggestions?

P.S. In case anyone should wonder, I replaced my PRAM battery about six months ago and there are no signs of date/time settings problems. I have rebuilt the Desktop and run DiskWarrior.

I am very disappointed that danzt has set retrospect to expire.

I don't know if this was stated in the small print when we purchased it, if I had known/realized I would of tried hard to find an alternative software maker for backups. I think it is very misleading and it has now reduced my trust in this great product, I mean if it can get away with this what will it do next. For all we know next it will lock our catalogues before we upgrade.

This seems to me to be a way of forcing people to depart with more money in upgrading, we don't need to upgrade.

What is to be done about this? My questions are:

Was we informed when the software was already purchased and if so was it in the small print or was it in the main marketing material?

When did they put in the expiry date, was it when we updated with patches?

Is there going to be a patch to fix this problem?

Thanks

David Lee

Dantz never meant to leave this check in the application, and we see this as a real problem. We are investigating a fix now, and I apologize for any inconvenience this issue is causing.

I'll post in the forums as soon as we have a solution.

This bug also appears on my dad's 3.0Ai running on a 7500.

Some users of Retrospect legitimately stay with an old version. My dad has less than 2 gig on his 4 gig disk and he backs his machine up to a Teac cassette tape. Quite stone-age. No need for 4.x here.

I trust Dantz will make a patch available for this version too.

Mike

• 1 month later...

The link to this update appears not to be working.

Clicking on the link produces the message: "Not Found. The requested URL //ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/retro_clock_update.sit was not found on this server."

Entering the address into my browser produces the message: "retro_clock_update.sit: No such file or directory."

Can you tell me if there's any other way to get hold of this update?

Archived