backup failure when using "My Computer Container"

Odd behavior with Retrospect.

First, some background. I have a Windows 2000 server, running Retrospect 5.6 Server, that backs itself up to tape. I set the scripts up to backup the My Computer Container, where there are two logical drives, C: & D:. For the past 11 months or so, this has worked just fine. Now, for no reason that I can discern, the C: drive isn't getting backed up, and the D: drive is getting backed up incompletely.

I adjusted my scripts so that they now back up the C: drive & the D: drive as separate components, and a test shows that that works as expected. So, in a sense, the problem has been resolved. However, I'd sure like to know why it *stopped* working, with no warning.

It's sort of distressing, simply because I'd prefer that a backup software be very boring and predictable...not coming up with weird behavior all the time.

Thanks in advance!

When you say it stopped working....what did it do? DId it give you an error on the C drive? Did it ignore the C drive and just skip it? <---I do not believe this is possible as we would still write something to the log about this. Let us know.....

Hi Melissa,

Per the log, Retrospect resolves the My Computer Container to two disks, the C: and D:, and then proceeds to backup the D: drive; it totally ignores the C: drive, and doesn't even leave an entry in the log.

I guess what I would have expected would be for it to say that the C: drive had no files to copy or something like that...?

• 2 weeks later...