Getting Started

I just need some embarrasingly simple help. I have installed Retrospect on an XP platform. All is well. It's the basic strategy that confuses me. I tried, in vain, to just check off the files I wanted to backup from my C drive. Instead, I made a folder that contains all the files I need to back up and (for now) is less than 650M, the max that will fit on my CDRW. OK. You'd think I'd be rolling. I think I am. I've tested the thing a few times and it seems to have backed up the files fine. I then added a new file and, presto, it added that file to the "script" (or whatever it's called). I automated the thing, added another file, and watched it work.

I need to know a few things:

* Did I do this right so far?

* How can I actually see what is on the backup disk. I know that the software verifies things, but I want to see for myself. It seems that one doesn't know if a backup works until after it is actually needed. I just want to see a catalog of the files on my backup disk.

* How can I turn off the feature that automatically ejects the disk after a backup? It's frustrating to see a message come up for about 1/10 of a second that says something about preferences to turn this off. I can't find any preferences.

* I really would like to backup more than 650M. I used to use a tape drive, but my new system isn't set up for one. Amazingly, Dell does not sell computers with tape drives in them. Should I just buy a hard drive with removable media? Who sells this. Again, amazingly CompUSA doesn't. Or, should I go back to tapes. I estimate that a 40 gig media would be fine. Any thoughts?

Help!!

When Retrospect fills up a CD it will automatically ask you to insert the next one.

The rest of the questions I can answer as soon as I know if you are using Retrospect Express or Retrospect Desktop. (do you have 4 tabs or 6 in the Retrospect Directory?)

Thanks for responding. I'm using Retrospect Express 5.6 Win. I'm not sure why you mentioned using more than one CD. My goal is to have the backups occur automatically. I suppose I could use a series of CDs and get to my higher meg goal, but it seems like a pain.

In Express you must setup a restore (you do not have to execute the restore but you do have to set it up). Directions below. In Desktop you would go to Reports/Contents.

To setup a "blank restore" so that we can view all files (including different versions) that are in this backup set:

Please go to Immediate > Restore, and select Search for Files and Folders,

and then proceed to select your Backup Set. Click OK.

In the Destination selection window, select the destination drive and

Retrieve Files & Folders from the pop-up window. Click OK.

Leave the criteria field blank, and click OK.

In the confirmation window, click the Files Chosen button. This will build

a browser window containing everything in your Backup Set.

* How can I turn off the feature that automatically ejects the disk after a backup?

Configure/Preferences Media/Handling - make sure the Eject Media button is not checked.

* I really would like to backup more than 650M.

You can backup more than 650mb with a CD. What happens is Retrospect will automatically ask, when it fills up the CD, for another one. Or if you want other media then - Tape drive, Hard Drive, etc. www.dantz.com/hardware has a list of compatible hardware. All Hard Drives are supported.

Hope this helps!

Melissa