APS HyperQIC and Adaptec 2930

I'm running a B&W G3 with an Adaptec 2930 and an APS HyperQIC drive. In OS X, running the 'ioreg' command under terminal shows the Adaptec card, but not the tape drive. According to an Adaptec tech support article, this indicates that the card is working. APS says that any driver issues would be with Dantz. Retrospect 5 doesn't see the drive. (Retrospect 4 under OS 9 did).

Looking at some other similar posts, some people have suggested that there is additional driver development that may need to be done for the drive to be supported, or that I may need to reflash or install a new chip on the 2930, or that my SCSI cables may need changing. Does anyone have this drive working with Retrospect 5 so I could start by eliminating the big possibility that I might have to replace yet another peripheral now that I've switched to OS X?

Thanks for any ideas.

On a side note, and not to corrupt the thread, I also have a Que CD-RW mechanism that I installed on the internal IDE bus (pulled the factory DVD drive...OS X wouldn't see the Que in its FW case...another story). It's exhibiting the same symptoms posted by others on this board with Retrospect 5. I understand there may be a service pack release that would solve this, but every time I try to download any software from Dantz, I get 'Illegal Port Request'...anyone know how to solve this? (Internet Explorer 5, OS 10.1.5, cable modem, SOHOWare router/firewall).

See also my thread "Inaccessible Conner CTT8000-S on Adaptec 2930 ". My Conner machanism is in an APS box; I believe it was marketed as a HyperQIC also. Is your mechanism also a Conner? (You can see the mechanism by booting back to 9.x and using Retrospect or SCSIProbe.)

I have nothing to offer but commiseration. Adaptec and Seagate say it's not their problem. I didn't even try asking APS.

Does the Apple System Profiler see the drive under OS X?

Does the drive show up in Retrospect's Device Status window (from Configure > Devices)?

What edition of Retrospect do you have? Desktop? Workgroup? Express?

If Retrospect can see the device, it should load a driver.

Please provide the following information:

Retrospect Version and build

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window, if visible)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Thanks!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Apple System Profiler does not see the drive. Only the Adaptec card.

The drive does not appear in the Device Status window...only my QPS CD-RW drive, which has its own issues right now (the CD-RW drive is on the internal IDE/ATA bus).

I have Retrospect Backup/Desktop version 5.0.205

I can't provide any info on the device, as it isn't showing up.

The adapter card info from System Profiler is as follows:

Card type: scsi

Card name: ADPT,2930CU

Card model: ADPT,1686806-04

Card ROM #: 4.0

Card revision: 3

Card vendor ID: 9004

The Adaptec extensions being loaded are:

Adaptec2906-2930.kext version 1.0.0 (1.0.0b6)

Adaptec290X-2930.kext version 1.1.0 (1.1.0)

Adaptec29160.kext version 1.0.0 (1.0.0b10)

Adaptec39160.kext version 1.0.0 (1.0.0b8)

Adaptec78XXSCSI.kext version 1.1 (1.1)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Archived