Can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

I am running Retrospect 15.5.0 on a Mac Pro 10.11.6 backing up to an LTO-6 Tape Drive.

I have no issues backing up locally attached drives or computers via the Retrospect client.

The error only occurs when copying from a NAS drive and not on all directories/files. I have tried mounting the NAS in Retrospect via SMB or AFP and get the same errors on both protocols. The logged in user has read/write access to the directories being backed up.

If I browse the same directories I get the errors when I am in in the Finder I can view and open the files without any problems. 

The NAS is a QNAP TS-873U-RP

• 5 months later...

Hi, was there any resolution to this issue?  I am also seeing:

*File "FILENAME": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)

This is after an upgrade to both Mojave and Retrospect v16.0.0.

There are seemingly no issues in the Finder as the original poster mentioned in his case.

Any tips appreciated.

-- madison

+1

seeing almost the same  - can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

when trying to backup a Seagate NAS to Retrospect 15.6.1  on mac 10.11.4, connected via AFP, and only certain folders/files are giving the error message.

There is no option to repair the seagate directories in the software that comes with the nas.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, madison437 said:

Hi, was there any resolution to this issue?  I am also seeing:

*File "FILENAME": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)

That is most likely a problem with the disk directory. Have you tried repairing the disk?

9 hours ago, LIGHTNINGAD said:

seeing almost the same  - can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

That is an entirely different problem. It seems as the user you logged in with to the NAS using AFP does not have permissions to access all files/folders.

Can you open the problematic files/folders in the Finder?

yes - same user/password used to access via Retrospect.

I can access all the files via the finder (both on my workstation mac, and also from finder in the retrospect server mac).

I am also having the same error message whne trying to backup the main hdd on my workstation. However, all my raids which are connected to this mac are being backed up without issue.

These problems only started happening after updating Retrospect to the current version 15. 

On 3/19/2019 at 9:06 AM, LIGHTNINGAD said:

when trying to backup a Seagate NAS to Retrospect 15.6.1  on mac 10.11.4, connected via AFP, and only certain folders/files are giving the error message.

There is no option to repair the seagate directories in the software that comes with the nas.

Unless you have reason not to, update your Mac to 10.11.6 -- that fixed a lot of small 10.11 problems for us, especially as other software was updated to cater for more recent OSs.

And try mounting over SMB rather than AFP. While it shouldn't make a difference, it often does -- especially since your NAS is probably running Windows permissions that are being translated so they can be used over AFP, so plenty of scope for "strange behaviour"...

• 2 months later...

In reference to Madison437 and the error code -1,101 (file/director not found) I found this helpful article on the Retrospect support site. The update to Mojave (10.14) has a new security feature. You need to open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Full Disk Access. Click the lock to authenticate.   Now go to Finder menu and Go > Go to Folder. 

Enter:

/Library/PreferencePanes   and drag the Retrospect Client over to the Full Disk Access window

then

/Library/Application Support/Retrospect       and drag the RetrospectInstantScan to the Full Disk Access window

Attached is the document where I found this info.

Retrospect: Full Disk Access Mojave .pdf

Thank you, CherylB.   Would you believe that same article, titled "macOS Mojave – Application Data Privacy",  has been in the Knowledge Base under "Top Articles" since 16 October 2018?    Great article titling, Retrospect engineers! :rolleyes:

P.S.: CherylB, how about your creating a Support Case suggesting that Retrospect Inc. change the KB article's title to something like "macOS Mojave – Application Data Privacy  and Error -1101"?   Here's why and how to do  that.

While it's a good idea to enable Full Disk Access in Mojave to allow Retrospect to back up all the files on a machine, it'll rarely have an impact on external volumes. Privacy mainly acts on parts of the user folders -- ~/Library/Mail, ~/Library/Cookies, etc -- and any Time Machine Backup folders. It generally won't be in play when backing up a mounted NAS volume unless that volume has been set as a TM backup target, *possibly* if you're redirecting User directories to the (non-startup) volume, or something similarly funky.

In fact, "Error -1101" is almost certainly not a Full Disk Access issue, since that generates an error when scanning -- an error that includes the path to the folder, text to the effect that 'Retrospect has detected it is not listed under "Full Disk Access..."', and a link to the KB article explaining how to fix the problem.

In both cases above it is most likely a name, permissions or volume integrity problem. But the various flavours of NAS and client implementations of SAMBA/AFP can make this difficult to troubleshoot...

• 2 years later...
On 3/19/2019 at 7:09 PM, Lennart_T said:

That is most likely a problem with the disk directory. Have you tried repairing the disk?

Lennart, was there a solution to this problem? In my case it occured after upgrading Retrospect to 14.6, never happened before so I don't think there is a problem with the directory on the NAS. So far no problems with the computers.