Hi,

I am getting a backup error of "appears incomplete" - see below:

Log for Script: Bart 7 - User

Date: 04/05/2014

+             Normal backup using Bart 7 - User at 04/05/2014 03:16

To Backup Set Bart 7 - User...

-              04/05/2014 03:16:57: Copying User RAID 1 (E:) on Bart

Using Instant Scan

Backing up 0 files using block level incremental backup.

04/05/2014 03:19:32: Snapshot stored, 28.1 MB

04/05/2014 03:19:37: Comparing User RAID 1 (E:) on Bart

File "E:\Louise\My Pictures\Trial run 007.mov": appears incomplete

04/05/2014 03:19:44: 1 execution errors

Completed: 58 files, 20.9 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 138.7 MB/minute (104.0 copy, 249.7 compare)

Duration: 00:02:46 (00:02:28 idle/loading/preparing)

04/05/2014 03:19:48: Script "Bart 7 - User" completed with 1 errors

I have previously replaced this file from another backup (pre v9) but the message remains.

Any ideas what's going on?

• Like 1

Lennart,

That's the weird thing. The file seems to be fine. It can be played (with QT) all the way through and I have copied the file back from an old backup (made with Retrospect v7.7) to replace it. I deleted the file first and then restored it, but still Retrospect v9 complains there is something wrong with it.

The file is dated from 2003 - so it's been backed up many times before, and copying it back following a deletion ought to have ensured it was stored on a different area of the disk, which should probably rule out a disk read problem from a bad sector. I have also run chkdsk on the disk, but no change.

I'd really like to know what the message really means - why say "appears"? What is Retrospect v9 checking and then deducing that something might be wrong?

I've had this problem since upgrading to Retrospect 9.   On a client laptop there are 18 jpg files (out of about 28,000) which give "appears incomplete" when I back them up to a new backup set.  These are files that backed up with no issues under previous versions of Retrospect.  If I make a copy of one of these files (using Windows Explorer), the copy has the same issue.  It only happens to jpg's and the files can be viewed with no issues.  As it happens these files are also on the pc where Retrospect is installed (they are in a synced directory), so I tried backing up all the jpg's from there.  There are no "appears incomplete" messages on this machine, but about 70 of the jpg's give "didn't compare" errors.  Again, these files backed up with no issues using previous version of Retrospect.  I've contacted Retrospect support with no resolution.  My conclusion is that Retrospect 9 has introduced some serious bugs and I'm trying to figure out how to revert to a previous version.

Ron,

Thanks for providing your information. It all helps.

I have raised a Support Case for this. Support suggested I copy the file I am having a problem with to another drive. So I put it on a NAS drive. Last night the file backed up OK from there, so I am not sure what is going on.

Colin,

Is the error happening on a client backup or a host backup?  All my "appears incomplete" errors happen on a client backup; these files back up fine from the host.  Conversely all my "didn't compare" errors happen on a host backup; these files back up fine from the client.  My host drive and backup drives are all RAID so it's unlikely anything is wrong with those files.

Ron

Ron,

My one "appears incomplete" error occurs on a client backup of a Win 7 Professional PC desktop machine. The backup of this file copied to a NAS as a test is also a client backup (I run the Linux client on the NAS - it's a v7.7 client though). That backed up fine, so I am beginning to suspect that the Retrospect v9 client is the problem rather than the "server" application, which seems to fit with your experience.

I am not getting any "didn't compare" errors though. Does the error message for these give any more information?

Colin,

Unfortunately the "didn't compare" messages aren't very informative.  I tried to back up the whole server today and got about 80 .jpg's that "didn't compare" and also 3 .zip's.  These are all old files that backed up without any issues before I upgraded to Retrospect 9.

Ron

I removed Retrospect 9 from both server and client and installed Retrospect 8.2.  I no longer get "appears incomplete" or "doesn't compare" messages.  I do get a lot of messages that say "subfiule delta for file ... exceeds subfile limits.  A new basefile will be created."  These look harmless to me and I have a vague recollection of encountering them in the past - perhaps I was actually using Retrospect 8.5 and not 8.2 before "upgrading" to 9.0 and 8.5 fixed this.  Unfortunately 8.2 can't read a file that's been touched by 9.0 so I had to recycle my backup sets.