Ver. 8 new install - cannot see any client

PHP_User

I just installed Retrospect Multi-server on our new server ( server 2012) and I also need to install the client app so I can backup local files here. The issue I am having (with all the workstations I installed the new client app on), is that I cannot see them when I tried to add a new device. When I installed the client app, I set the password. When I open the app, the check-box "Protected by Retrospect Server" is greyed out (and I am logged in as admin).

On most of the other workstations, it is not greyed out, but whether I check it or not, I still cannot see any new client installed machine. If I manually enter in the IP, I can add it to the machine.

None of the workstations are running Windows Firewall, so that is not the issue.

At this point I searched the we and the users manual and cannot find a solution to this.

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Don

• Like 4

I just uninstalled the Client app on the server (logged in as admin) and reinstall. I get this error message (when logged in as admin and "run as admin" on the client app.

Error 1923 Service Retrospect Instant Scan (RetroInstantScanService)could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services. 

retro_client_error.jpg

I don't understand why if I am logged in as admin and run as admin.

Thanks,

Don

• Like 1

I have been also working with support and at first the instant scan was not being uninstalled. We now have it uninstalled (many times) but still can only access the client machine by manually entering the IP address. 

He seems stumped. I tried the client on a workstation and a server (both window windows firewall turned off) and it still doesnt see the clients. Both the server and the client are the same exact versions.

So far, no solution.

The Piton Name Service discovery of clients by the Retrospect server relies on multicast — is there any chance that your network switch, or some other device, between the server and client is blocking/dropping the multicast packets?

The multicast address used by Retrospect is 224.1.0.38 and the port used by Retrospect is 497. I would think that support would have already covered this but ask just in case they didn't.

To answer the last 2 questions, support just told me to check port 497, but didnt mention the IP. I also only waited a few minutes to see if the first client will show up.  I will open the add client window now and  let it run for at least an hour. At the same time, the only thing I can think would effect that port is our sonicwall. But I dont think sonicwall would have set any internal ports to be blocked (they setup the device for us).

I will contact sonicwall and ask them how to check and see if that port is being blocked in any way.

Thank you both!

Don