Proactive Backup For Retrospect Professional

We purchased Retrospect Professional to back our office laptops up. I assumed that since we didn't have a server in the office we could use the Pro product and not single server. When I click to set up a proactive backup it asks for a Proactive Backup license. I can't find any way to purchase one on the website.

Also, the product comparison was very confusing on the website. Professional states it will back laptops up and I can't imagine a scenario where you'd do a scheduled backup with a group of laptops being normal. Please point me in the right direction.

I tried to submit a ticket to tech support or customer service but Retrospect doesn't come up in the list of products and so I can't fill the form out.

Thank you for your replies. I'm hoping that somebody from Roxio can answer as this seems to be the only way to communicate with them currently.

Did you click on the "support" link I posted?

EDIT: Here's another link:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/retrospect/contact.html

Edited by Lennart Thelander

Response from technical support:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Roxio Retrospect Customer Care.

Proactive backup should work just fine with no issues on Pro version of Retrospect, with no special keys.

When did you purchase your Retrospect software? Please provide proof of purchase.

Interesting especially when your greeted with the additional licence required alert box when you click on new in the proactive backup...how many other users are unable to access the proactive backup feature within retrospect pro v7.7?

Edited by MarkUK

Response from technical support:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Roxio Retrospect Customer Care.

Proactive backup should work just fine with no issues on Pro version of Retrospect, with no special keys.

When did you purchase your Retrospect software? Please provide proof of purchase.

Interesting especially when your greeted with the additional licence required alert box when you click on new in the proactive backup...how many other users are unable to access the proactive backup feature within retrospect pro v7.7?

I have the email from roxio (somehow through ingram micro) with the code for "Retrospect Professional, WIN 7.7". I think their response is interesting since you have to fill in the license code to post the support form. It sounds like their system isn't working very well if they need to ask you where you bought the product.

I don't want come across as difficult, but I need a solution. If you read the reply of the tech support agent above, it conflicts with what you are saying.

What is the path that companies in our position are to take then? Is there an upgrade product that obviates the need for a return, or is the window asking for the license code something we should just ignore?

Either way, thanks for your reply.

Reply received today from support:

Thank you for sending over the proof of purchase.

The product you purchased on 25 March 2011 is Roxio Retrospect Professional,WIN 7.7. Please note that this version does not come with proactive backup. Proactive backup comes with Server and Multi Server licenses. We do not sell an add-on for Proactive backup for Professional users. To get this functionality you would have to upgrade your Retrospect license. To find out more about your upgrade option, contact the Sales department at

phone: +44 1908 278 107

e-mail: vlp.emea@roxio.com

ouch..i need another license or upgrade:(

Edited by MarkUK

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has really been an underwhelming response from Roxio. It took a week to get an email stating that I need to call the sales department. I called and left a message and it's been over a week with no response. I'd like to use the software, but Roxio doesn't seem to be very responsive. I suppose I'll just have to be patient as I'm unaware of another product in this price range that can do proactive backups like this. At least they have some features I need/use. Hopefully their development, marketing and support teams get on the same page soon.

Thanks to everyone that responded.