Retrospect 7.5 Open File Backup Insufficient Permissions

ixnayus

I'm at a loss here. I'm running a fully updated Retrospect 7.5.251 on a fully updated WinXP SP2 box. I'm trying to execute a local backup to an external firewire drive.

I'm getting an error: "Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)"

The C: drive in question is formatted NTFS as instructed in Retrospect's help and knowledgebase. I have a valid license and it appears that Open File Backup is properly installed according to the license manager. Yet, I get this error.

The online help so far has turned up no info on this topic. For instace, how would I grant retrospect sufficient permissions? Where would I do such a thing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

A fully updated installation of 7.5 at this point should be 7.5.285. However, this is not the problem.

On an XP machine Retrospect is going to use Windows' Volume Shadowcopy Service (VSS) to backup open files. If there is a general problem backing up open files, the first thing to check would be that this service is working and is not being retained by another application. The Windows event viewer is a good place to start, check for errors with a source of VSS.

Quote:

On an XP machine Retrospect is going to use Windows' Volume Shadowcopy Service (VSS) to backup open files.

...and that's documented where, exactly??? smirk.gif

I checked the VSS service and it was set to start manually. I've switched it on and to start automatically. We'll see if that works.

OK, How do we fix the problem?

In other words, what do you do with VSS?

It would be educational for the rest of us to see the reply. I have not hit this problem yet, but I want to know what to do if I encounter it.

Sorry for the Windows newbie question, but I'll plead ignorance more than stupidity on this.

Ted Dushane

Just a follow-up to this thread: After doing everything suggested, Retrospect was still unable to use the Open File Backup option, again throwing about a dozen "error -1020 (sharing violation)" warnings on various files.

I'm at a loss here. I've found where I can have Retrospect log in as a specific user (Configure > Preferences > Execution > Security > Always run Retrospect as a specified user...) and VSS was started and running at the time of the scheduled backup.

Any more thoughts?

hi steve,

what do the options look like in your script?

the defaults are:

Thorough verification on

Don't back up Windows security information from workstations

Back up open files

is that what yours looks like? or something different?

also, your post indicates you are no longer getting this error:

"Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)"

can you confirm that?

hi steve,

ok, so now you should go to the Event Viewer, located here:

Start->Control Panel (in "Classic View")->Administrator Tools->Event Viewer

when you open that, you'll see the events for 3 categories. i think this will be in 'System', but have a look at 'Application' also. we are looking for 'red' errors that have to do with the 'Volume Shadow Copy Service' or VSS. do you see any of those in there, and can you post the errors? if you don't see 'red' ones, you can post anything that has 'Volume Shadow Copy' or VSS in it.

I'm having the same problem as Steve, and it looks like there are others in another topic who are addressing the VSS question directly (without the context of the -1017 error). I'm backing up up three systems, all with the new client just installed, all NTFS, all with the same settings so far as I've found (so far). However, one of the machines backs up just fine; the other two throw the error into the log for any of the backups that I do on those machines. (So it's not a specific volume/folder issue.)

So I:

+ Started VSS on each client machine, and set it to Autostart for the future.

+ Ran one of my backup scripts again and got the same errors. Retro accessed the volume, got the data, and threw the "insufficient permissions" error to the log file.

+ Went to the event viewer on one of the not-working machines and found it rife with VSS errors. Here's the most current batch of messages, generated under the conditions above:

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer

Error 7/23/2006 10:43:24 AM VSS None 12291 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:43:24 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:43:07 AM VSS None 12291 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:43:07 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:39:08 AM VSS None 5013 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:39:08 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 10:39:08 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:56 AM VSS None 12291 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:56 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:26 AM VSS None 12291 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:26 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:11 AM VSS None 12291 N/A SERVER

Error 7/23/2006 9:32:11 AM VSS None 8193 N/A SERVER

I'll continue to see if I can find any other inconsistent settings between the machines, but at this point I'm stumped. (Not that this is hard to do.)

Thanks.

Archived