Stop Client Warnings, Please...

I am a Retrospect newbi (over from BackupExec) and have just come onto a network where I have upgraded the Retrospect 6 to 7.5.251. We are running SBS2003 with both Wix XP and Mac OS clients. The client software has also been upgrades to the latest versions for each OS.

Of the 16 clients on the network, only 2 are being backed up as part of the Retrospect Daily/Weekly backup sets. These two machines are critical and an immediate restoration of each would be crucial should either fail.

The other 14 machines are "disposable". By this I mean that all crucial data on those machines is duplicated on the server (SBS2003) shares which ARE backed up daily. If those client systems should fail it would be more effective to format and reinstall a clean OS and then restore the data from the share files. It would be nice to backup each as part of the set but schedule and resource logistics prevent this from being viable.

My problem is this: The previous tech had installed the Retrospect client on every machine (thus the upgrade to each). Now I have 14 users who are plagued with warnings from the Retro client that their PC's have not been backed up since June of 2005.

How do I disable these warnings on the client installations that are not being backed up (and never will be) short of removing the software from each machine?

-I would like to leave the clients installed in case there is ever a need to run a backup on those machines. But I have to stop the warnings.

What's my solution?

Thanks,

-MP

I am having the same problem. I have noticed there is a flag in the Client Setup called "Notify if no backup in nn days" where you can specify the number of days. It also allows you to unselect the option altogether. I believe is this probably where you could disable the warning.

My issue is not quite the same. I am questioning how this flag is used. THat is, under what circumstances does this flag trigger. I am backing up the data I want to on each of my machines, yet I still receive this message. The manual is worthless in terms of determining what triggers this message to appear and how you can better control when or when not you will receive the message. Any Restrospect gurus that understand the underlying criteria that are used to trigger this message? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

hi mds,

Quote:

I am backing up the data I want to on each of my machines, yet I still receive this message.

sounds like you installed the "Client" software on the "Server". the server software is capable of backing up the local machine without the "Client" software installed. in fact, they cannot communicate locally, so if you are getting these errors on the server--->uninstall the client.

Waltr - I think you were correct in your suggestion. I looked and sure enough, I had the client loaded on my server from when I did my original installation of 7.0. I have removed the client and will see if the problem goes away. Thanks for your help - I am going to guess this will fix it.

Mark

Archived