Grooming error 2241

Hi, I'm using Retrospect Multi Server version 7.0.326 (Retrospect Update update version 7.09.103) running on Windows 2003 Server (with SP1)

I'm having constant problems regarding the catalog file, it happens after runnning a second or third grooming. I had these errors:

+ Executing Groom Daily Server to Disk at 12/8/2005 10:52 AM (Execution unit 1)

Grooming Backup Set Daily on Disk...

Groomed 986.7 MB from Backup Set Daily on Disk.

Grooming Backup Set Daily on Disk failed, error -2241 (Catalog File invalid/damaged)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Daily on Disk, error -1 (unknown)

12/9/2005 12:43:13 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 13:50:58 (00:01:47 idle/loading/preparing)

The sequence of events was as follows:

- Had errors about catalog file damaged after running a grooming

- Updated Retrospect from 7.06.108 to 7.0.326 (Retrospect update was updated too)

- I Deleted the catalog file and recreated it from disk --> worked fine

- Run a grooming--> worked fine

- I did run a normal backup once (using this catalog)--> worked fine

- Run a grooming--> ERRORS as shown before

Backup Set is not encripted, just compressed with password. This is the THIRD time I recreate the catalog and do a grooming to free up space, my backup size is 1.34 Tb and growing up (25% free space on this HDD) The catalogs are located on a separate HDD (HDD size 21 Gb, only 8 Gb used). HDD have been checked and defragmented, no errors

What is happening?? Why the catalog gets corrupted after a second grooming?? (this is a dedicated server only for backups with 2Gb RAM, Xeon processor at 3 Ghz.

Thanks in advance

Hi

What can you tell us about the disk used to hold the backup set and the catalog files? How are they connected to the computer? What kind of RAID array are you using? The error -1 unknown indicates that the OS threw up an error that Retrospect did not know how to interpret.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

Hi, I tried several things: removed catalog compression (catalog file is big, almost 5 Gb.) rebuilded catalog from scratch, grooming error happened again.

All HDD are SCSI, I already updated all SCSI drivers and firmware.

Server is Dell PowerEdge 1750 running Windows Server 2003 SP1 (2 Gb. RAM)

Catalog files are located in an internal HDD using a PERC 4/DI controller, RAID-1.

Backup set files are located on an external SCSI HDD array (Dell Powervault 220S) using PERC 4/DC controller, RAID-5.

Tape backup is an Exabyte 1x10 VXA-2 Autoloader using Adaptec SCSI card 39160 (Ultra 160)

Below is the latest error:

+Executing Groom Daily Server to Disk at 1/22/2006 2:56 PM (Execution unit 1)

Grooming Backup Set Daily on Disk...

Groomed 6.8 GB from Backup Set Daily on Disk.

Grooming Backup Set Daily on Disk failed, error -2241 (Catalog File invalid/damaged)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Daily on Disk, error -1 (unknown)

1/23/2006 3:47:22 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 12:50:41 (00:13:59 idle/loading/preparing)

What could be happening, I'm still getting error -1 and error -2241 ?? If catalog file is not compressed..why it keeps telling "can't compress catalog file" ??

Thank you very much in advance

I don't know of any workarounds. I was going to pass along a suggestion to not use grooming when spanning backup sets, but that's irrelevant if you're not doing that in the first place.

I am beginning to suspect that my problems are hardware related. I've never been able to go more than 2 weeks before something like this popped up. Every time, the first error I get is a 1101, when Retrospect can't find the backup set. If you notice a similar trend, maybe see if there are any hardware errors.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks

eric

Hi

Does this error happen with all catalogs or just one of them?

First, try moving the catalog file to a different disk. If the problems continue you can create a new backup set and transfer the old backup set contents into the new one. Assuming there is corruption in a backup file somewhere that should clear it up.

Thanks

nate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived