backup server 6.1 choosing wrong backup sets?

Hi All

I had been having this problem for a while now with 6.0.x and I just updated to the latest 6.1 release from the web and still having the same issues.

I have tape sets A, C and D that rotate. Right now I have all the tapes from set A loaded in the library, retrospect knows they are there. 7 tapes are in use, 8th is freshly formatted. When backup server runs it is almost always choosing set C or set D even though a member of set A is currently in drive. The scripts are set to use A,C and D. It then ejects the current tape, loads the blank one and formats it to be a member of the set that it has chosen (C or D).

I can't seem to figure out a way of working around this aside from manually modifying each backup script to only use the one tape set that's current, which is a large task and hopefully not what I have to do.

Can anyone else offer up other suggestions? Is this a known issue?

hardware: quantum valueloader (8 * SDLT320)

software: retrospect for macintosh 6.1.126

device access version: 1.0.107

drive update version: (it's blank! huh?)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, nope that didn't help at all. Spent 4 days rebuilding the catalog (which seemed to get stuck in an endless loop as when I stopped it it said it was at 8TB -- and my backup sets can't hold anywhere neat that amount).

I deleted the backup sets (all of them), and recreated. Started a brand new backup set this weekend to let it run.

When I got in this morning it was asking for a tape from a different backup setup (it was asking for set C) ... set A was fully loaded, all 8 members where in the tape library and accounted for. It backed up a single script in the backup server to Set A (which is fully loaded and waiting) and stopped dead asking for a member of set C.

I'm really stumped here and again running without proper backups.

Am I the only one that has all these endless problems? I spent more hours with retrospect weekly just making sure it actually does what it's supposed to than any other single piece of software we own.

As a temporary workaround the only solution I've found to date is to manually disable ALL backup sets that I am not currently running in each script. It's a long process but it seems to work.

If anyone can offer any further suggestions I'm all ears.

Hi

Try this:

Delete all of the items in your backup report on the reports tab. Then delete your proactive script and close Retrospect. Relaunch and recreate the proactive script.

This will cause all of your clients to be backed up ASAP but it may resovle the issue.

Thanks

nate

Ok, back to the by hand methods. I still have this problem so I have to manually remove all the non current backup sets by hand from the scripts or it prompts me for various tapes from those sets.

Back to the drawing board. If anyone else has advice I'd love to hear it.

In the words of Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter Character) "Why is it always me?" LOL

Ooops sorry nate, didn't see this reply until now (I didn't get an email notification on it).

What do you mean by proactive script? Do you mean all the backup server scripts? I have over 50 of them currently that were just all redone less than a month ago from scratch and still have the same problems as before.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure from the thread whether this is your problem or not, but I've had something similar in the past ...

if you ever leave one of the non-active sets with the last member full then Retrospect automatically adds a blank media to it. The solution to this is to ALWAYS make sure that the last member of every backup set is NOT full.

Archived