No disc storage devices found

johndon

I am running Retrospect Pro V7.0.301 on my new computer with WIN XP Pro SP 2 and WIN 64 bit both installed. The motherboard has a Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset, both operating systems have version 6.66 of the Nvidia chipset drivers installed. I have a Plextor PX-716SA DVD and a Plextor 51X CDR and both versions of Windows see both drives. I can read and write to/from both drives in both operating systems without any problems.

When I try to backup or restore to cd or DVD in Retrospect I get an error message that "No disc storage device found". Same error message in Configure Devices. Same problem both operating systems. WIN 64 is an absolute minimul installation, only Nvidia video and chipset drivers and Retrospect.

Do Nvidia Nforce 4 and Retrospect not play nicely together?

Any suggestions?

Hi

Retrospect should show all disk/storage devices attached to your IDE controller in the environment window. This is true even for devices that Retrospect does not have a driver for.

In your case nothing is showing up there so there is a low level problem somewhere. Retrospect cannot get even very basic information about the drives.

What kind of motherboard and hard drive controller do you have? Be sure to update bios and firmware for both of them.

Thanks

Nate

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium with the latest bios.

My cotrollers are integrated into the motherboard chipset which is a Nvidia nForce 4 SLI. I have the latest chipset drivers installed

My CDR is attached to the IDE controller and my DVD is attached to the SATA controller.

WIN XP 32bit and WIN XP 64 bit both can access both drives without problems.

Any word on this issue? I've got the same problem except Retrospect won't see CD, DVD, or SCSI tape devices. It reports no devices visible.

The particulars:

Gigabyte GA K8N Pro-SLI Motherboard

nVidia NForce 4 chipset with the latest drivers

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939

Windows XP SP2

CD-R and DVD-R are on IDE channel

External Sony AIT4 tape drive connected to Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in 33 Mhz PCI slot

29160 and tape drive have most recent drivers

Hi

It shouldn't make much difference but I can't be sure.

Here is the deal:

Retrospect queries the computer for basic information about all devices attached to the IDE/SCSI/USB/FW busses. Whatever the OS reports back is what Retrospect shows in the configure->devices->environment window. Based on the raw device inquiry strings (device identifier labels) Retrospect loads drivers as needed.

In your case Retrospect is asking for information about connected devices but not getting anything in response. As a result the environment window shows up completely empty. Motherboard or hard disk controllers can cause this kind of problem.

Do you have an older version of the motherboard drivers handy? I wonder if updated chipset drivers didn't break something....

Nate

Quote:

Hi

It shouldn't make much difference but I can't be sure.

Here is the deal:

Retrospect queries the computer for basic information about all devices attached to the IDE/SCSI/USB/FW busses. Whatever the OS reports back is what Retrospect shows in the configure->devices->environment window. Based on the raw device inquiry strings (device identifier labels) Retrospect loads drivers as needed.

In your case Retrospect is asking for information about connected devices but not getting anything in response. As a result the environment window shows up completely empty. Motherboard or hard disk controllers can cause this kind of problem.

Do you have an older version of the motherboard drivers handy? I wonder if updated chipset drivers didn't break something....

Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the clarification and exactly how it has worked in the past on other machines.

As far as bios and motherboard firmware/drivers. I initially loaded the machine with the old drivers and bios. Retrospect didn't recognize any devices so I then updated the bios, still didn't see any devices. Then I updated the motherboard drivers, still didn't see any devices. I then applied the latest RU 7.0.6.108, still won't see any devices.

I still think it's a device polling/reporting issue with Retrospect and the Nvidia NForce 4 controller and/or drivers.

All devices and software work great on my old AMD Duron machine with VIA chipset and drivers.

Hi

Will Windows still work if you uninstall the Nforce 4 drivers?

When SATA first came out flaky Intel drivers made it so Retrospect could not see any hard drives on the machine. Intel fixed that bug and so Retrospect worked properly from that point on.

I suspect we have the same problem here - a flaky driver interfering with the commands Retrospect uses to query devices.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Will Windows still work if you uninstall the Nforce 4 drivers?

When SATA first came out flaky Intel drivers made it so Retrospect could not see any hard drives on the machine. Intel fixed that bug and so Retrospect worked properly from that point on.

I suspect we have the same problem here - a flaky driver interfering with the commands Retrospect uses to query devices.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for all the responses. If I remove the NForce drivers Windows won't see any of the devices on the controller. When I loaded Windows I had to do an <F6> at startup and load the controller drivers from floppy so I could see the hard drive.

What do you suggest I do? Who owns this problem, Dantz or Nvidia?

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Hi,

I happen to have a AMD Nforce 3 motherboard and a seagate SATA drive where if I installed the nforce drivers Retrospect would hang at startup and only after I uninstalled the IDE drivers did I get Retrospect to work properly. I didnt install the SATA drivers either because if I did then Windows would act sluggish and it would add the drive as a removable drive giving me the option to safely remove it. The only nforce drivers I have installed at the moment is for my onboard USB and NIC card. Retrospect can see my devices fine. Just thought I would share my Nforce driver experience with Retropsect and hopefully this helps a little

I just had the "opertunity" to re-install WIN-XP SP2. With nothing else installed except Retrospect 7.0.326 with RDU 7.0.7.101 Retrosect still reports "No Devices Visable".

I did not install the full chipset driver file. I did use F6 to install the NVIDIA SATA RAID driver (a part of the full chipset driver set) when installing WIN-XP. This installs two things:

NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER

NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller

Maybe the problem comes from one of them. To the best of my knowledge the IDE bus still runs on the Microsoft driver untill all the chipset drivers are installed.

Quote:

Hi,

I happen to have a AMD Nforce 3 motherboard and a seagate SATA drive where if I installed the nforce drivers Retrospect would hang at startup and only after I uninstalled the IDE drivers did I get Retrospect to work properly. I didnt install the SATA drivers either because if I did then Windows would act sluggish and it would add the drive as a removable drive giving me the option to safely remove it. The only nforce drivers I have installed at the moment is for my onboard USB and NIC card. Retrospect can see my devices fine. Just thought I would share my Nforce driver experience with Retropsect and hopefully this helps a little

I verified and noted the same behaviour of the SATA drive. The driver for the SATA drive shows to be Microsoft and Windows does give me the 'option' to eject the SATA device like any USB or firewire device I attach. My USB Zip 250 doesn't show up in the device or volume menu's either. I have a hard drive on the SATA channel and one on a PATA channel and both show up in the volume menu.

I don't have any of the sluggish Windows issues or Retrospect hanging issues, both run very well.

<insert confused smiley here>

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

I just had the "opertunity" to re-install WIN-XP SP2. With nothing else installed except Retrospect 7.0.326 with RDU 7.0.7.101 Retrosect still reports "No Devices Visable".

I did not install the full chipset driver file. I did use F6 to install the NVIDIA SATA RAID driver (a part of the full chipset driver set) when installing WIN-XP. This installs two things:

NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER

NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller

Maybe the problem comes from one of them. To the best of my knowledge the IDE bus still runs on the Microsoft driver untill all the chipset drivers are installed.

Exactly what I did.

It's just too wierd that I can see and use all devices connected in Windows, but Retrospect doesn't?!?!?!?!

I normally wouldn't spend this much time trying to get software to work, except that I have data in Retrospect that I need to restore. I guess I'll just install on another machine, restore data, transfer data via network, and ditch Retrospect for Backup Exec.

Hi

We would like to take a look at some detailed device logging for your system.

Type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect. Turn "Devices" debug logging to 7 and then close Retrospect. Launch Retrospect again and open the configure-> devices ->environment window. Close Retrospect.

Please zip and send the entire Retrospect operations log file to me at pacrimsupport@dantz.com . The log file is located at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect\Operations_log.utx.

If possible we would also like to get a system info report for your system generated with the windows system info utility.

Thanks!

Nate @ EMC Dantz Support

Quote:

Hi

Type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect. Turn "Devices" debug logging to 7 and then close Retrospect. Launch Retrospect again and open the configure-> devices ->environment window. Close Retrospect.

Please zip and send the entire Retrospect operations log file to me at
. The log file is located at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect\Operations_log.utx.

If possible we would also like to get a system info report for your system generated with the windows system info utility.

Thanks!

Nate @ EMC Dantz Support

Hi Nate,

Both logs requested have been emailed. Thanks for the support.

Quote:

Quote:

Hi

Please zip and send the entire Retrospect operations log file to me at
. The log file is located at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect\Operations_log.utx.

Thanks!

Nate @ EMC Dantz Support

Hi Nate,

Both logs requested have been emailed. Thanks for the support.

TTT, any word on this issue?

The trouble ticket with Gigabyte ended as a pass to Nvidia, as they say it's their problem. My only issue now is that Nvidia doesn't deal with end users. mad.gif

I too am suddenly getting this problem. (WinXP Pro, SP1)

But last night R7Pro COULD see both my DVD burner and my tape driver. Now, R7Pro can't see jack squat. (No changes were made to drivers or firmware.) When I un-ignore the two devices then do a device scan, nothing changes. Even after multiple reboots yadda yadda.

I doubt it's a low-level issue seeing that R7Pro could see the devices and now can't. Further, the fact that both the DVD and tape drive vanished... I certainly don't lean toward mobo/firmware/driver finger-pointing. Pff.

From my own experience and reading this board, R7Pro is starting to smell like a rushed product. Seems sketchy. My backup software is the LAST thing I want to feel like a poorly tested product.

I'm outta here.

Archived