Client Communicates, but is not VISIBLE

I am running Retrospect Multi-Server 6.5.350 on a Win XP Pro machine. One of the clients (6.5.136) is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The weird thing is that although Retrospect successfully backs up the Win 2k AS server, I can't make the client applet *visibible* on the server. That is, if I go to Start \ Programs \ Retrospect Client and try to run it, the mouse cursory turns to an hour glass for about a second, but nothing else happens. If I go to the Control Panel and try to run it from there, again, nothing happens.

I tried repeatedly to uninstall the client from the 2000 AS machine, but it would not uninstall, so I manually removed the files adn deleted every Dantz registry entry, then rebooted and reinstalled. I received no error messages on reinstallation.

At this point, I don't know what else to try.

Hi

This is really odd. Does Retrospect client respond to command line options?

(/path/to/client/app/retroclient --help)

It could be a permissions issue. Possibly something with the video driver? I have the client on a regular windows 2003 server with no trouble.

Thanks

Nate

If I open a command window (aka "Dos prompt") and issue the command c:\program files\dantz\client\retroclient.exe/help I get a message saying that "retrospect client is already running." The "processes tab" of task manager shows that retroclient.exe is running, but it's not VISIBLE anywhere. It's not listed on the "applications tab" of taskmanger.

One other weird thing... The Win 2000 AS server has an entry for Retrospect Client (retroclient.exe) in the Start menu tree *and* an entry for Retrospect Client (retroclient.cpl) in the Control Panel. However, my Windows XP Pro computers that have Client installed on them don't have a entry for Client in the control panel.

Hi

My XP box has both of those entries. That is normal.

It sounds like the client is running OK. You can actually run all of the client commands from a command line. The GUI isn't required.

If you launch the client from the start manager and then open windows task manager does it show the client running?

Do you have dual monitors on this machine?

Nate

Archived