After turning off circular logging: API error: (0xc8000232) - Some log or patch files are missing

I turned off circular logging, then rebooted since it didn't take affect right away (must be a better way...). Here is more of the log:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 12/17/2004 5:53 AM

To Backup Set Thursday...

- 12/17/2004 5:53:01 AM: Copying First Storage Group

Exchange Backup/Restore API error: (0xc8000232) - Some log or patch files are missing.

File "First Storage Group\?zzz LOG": can't read, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

Anybody ever see this before ?

Thanks,

Denis

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing the same issue...after turning off circular logging on Exchange Server 2003 and rebooting, the Retrospect backup job says:

Trouble reading files, error -3714 (some log or patch files are missing)

Differential. Here's what I see in the log:

-    3/7/2005 6:43:49 PM: Copying First Storage Group on mail

3/7/2005 6:43:49 PM: Connected to mail

Backup type: Differential

Trouble reading files, error -3714 (Some log or patch files are missing)

3/7/2005 6:44:20 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 17,179,869,184.0 GB

Completed: 2 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:31 (00:00:25 idle/loading/preparing)

Aside from the -3714 error, note that our mailstore is not 17,179,869,184.0 GB in size.

>> I turned off circular logging, then rebooted since it didn't take affect right away (must be a better way...).

There is a much better way. After disabling Circular Logging go into the Services and stop/start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store. This should be sufficient. When rebooting an AD 2003 Exchange Server you might as well plan for breakfast and lunch - because that's how long it's going to take...

All kidding aside, I wasn't able to reproduce this with preliminary testing. I enabled Circular Logging, ran a Full backup, then disabled it and ran a Differential with no errors. However, our configurations are undoubtedly different.

What version of Retrospect are you using?

What type of backup set?

Does this occur on both new or existing backup sets?

If you execute a Full backup and then try a Differential does the problem persist?

Oh, and the 17,179,869,184.0 GB file that was 'remaining' is referring to the log. It's a UI defect that will be resolved in a future release.

• 2 months later...

So far, the only way I can get a good Exchange Server backup is to do a full. Partials won't work, even after a full. Then again, Retrospect likes to die a violent death on a regular basis too, so there are obviously other issues with the software...

Archived