Trouble reading files, error -516 ( illegal request)?

Backing up from a Mac client to a Mac Retrospect Desktop. Media Set is a disk backup.

It was working, but now every time it tries to backup a second disk on the Mac client, it reports:

Using Instant Scan

!Trouble reading files, error -516 ( illegal request)

and fails to backup that disk.

Any suggestions as to what to do to correct the issue?

• 2 months later...

Further to this, I never discovered the cause (and I never was alerted to the above suggestion about disabling RetroISA).

I have since merged the two disks to a single newly formatted disk, and the error persists, so it is something about the legitimate file structure that Retrospect doesn't like, not some sort of disk corruption as that would not have survived the format, install, copy sequence of the new disk's creation.

I have enabled more verbose logging as described and will see if that tells me anything.

Failing that, I will try disabling the RetroISA facility and see if that resolves the issue, though that seems a cop out.

OK, it still failed, the log doesn't show anything interesting I can see.

So I disabled ISA with:

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[left]sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist[/left]
[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[left]sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa Disabled -bool true[/left]
[/font][/color]

But the error persists. The Log on the server shows:

Using Instant Scan
!Trouble reading files, error -516 ( illegal request)

Now what?

I can't boot in Safe Boot Mode (see this discussion for this quite common issue), but the disk verifies without any issues using Disk Utility.

It's plausible that whatever issue is stopping the Safe Boot disk check is also stopping Retrospect, although that doesn't explain why Carbon Copy Cloner has no problem copying the disk. If so, and if 10.8.3 actually resolves the issue as has been suggested, then maybe that will get things working.

Very frustrating as I don't have a backup of my primary working machine at this point without manually backing up!

I agree, your problem with safe booting is most likely causing Retrospect to fail.

CCC only copies files "as is". It doesn't analyze any files or perform any disk directory checks.

A safe boot performs a lot of checking of the contents of many files. Please see the articles in my links above.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so 10.8.3 did not fix the Safe Boot issue (see the discussion linked to above).

I disabled fsck, and did a safe boot which worked fine, and so presumably cleaned out whatever other cache issues a safe boot does, then rebooted and renabled fsck. The disk continues to verify without errors in Disk Utility, and Retrospect continues to fail with:

!Trouble reading files, error -516 ( illegal request)[/size][/font]

Fine. So, how do I find out what files it has trouble reading? And if it has trouble reading a file, how about reporting it and continuing on?

I have disabled RetroISA as described earlier:

% sudo defaults read /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist Disabled

but the log message still says:

Using Instant Scan[/size][/font]

So what next? In the mean time, my primary Mac is not being backed up by Retrospect, which is far from good.

Fine. So, how do I find out what files it has trouble reading?

Select one folder as a favorite folder and back it up.

Did it work? Select another folder as favorite and try that one.

Did it NOT work? Select a subfolder as favorite and try that one.

After finding which folder (that contains only files and no subfolders) you can try moving files out to a temporary folder to reduce the number of possible problem files.

OK, interesting strategy to use Favorite folders. Sadly, it proved only that Retrospect's behaviour is inscrutable at best. Here's what I did:

First, I had a look at what was backed up and compared it to my harddisk. It looked like my Downloads folder was the issue. OK, it has files/folders dating back to 1996 in it, so if something is going to be corrupted, it's a distinct possibility.

So I created a favourites folder for the Downloads folder, and backed that up. It failed with the -516 error. Ok, that's a good start. Then I moved everything out of the folder. It gave weird file not found errors for files that we're in the folder any more. OK, that's odd. But I've disabled RetroISA, so that could be the issue.

Reenabled RetroISA. Still have the File Not Found errors for files that aren't in there. Restart.

Backup the Downloads folder and it backups without errors. Ok! Added back to folders that are marked private. Backup. Works! Backed up the .DS_Store file. Add two folders (6MB) back. Backup. Works! Ok. Add three more folders (1GB). Backup - nothing backed up "No files need to be copied", no errors. WTF? Backup. No files, no errors. Backup. No files, no errors. Activity shows the backup that backed up 6MB, followed by two backups of 0 bytes. Past Backups shows only 2 files (.DS_Store and .localized). WTF? Backup again. Gives error -516 (copies 1 or 2 files, <100K). WTF? remove the extra folder. Backup gives error -516. WTF? Remove all the files/folders, backup gives error -516. WTF? Check the backup, backup now shows 1GB of files? WTF?

So I am completely at a loss as to what Retrospect thinks it is doing.

Going through the Past Activities, shows only six failures, five successes, and a total of only a handful of files totalling 6MB.

Past Backups shows only two of the backups, 1 Files Copies each.

Browsing the Past Backup showing all files, shows 1GB of files, and I can restore those files.

So I'm left scratching my head with no idea what is going on.

I'm starting to wonder whether the "!Trouble reading files, error -516 ( illegal request)" error is actually related to reading the backup set after it gets some garbled information in there, because otherwise I don't understand why the backup gives the -516 error once it gets it once, even if the files are removed from the folder so it's back to an empty state.

I am also having troubles with this -516 error, and have gone back to the v9 client, but the problem is still happening!

Editing the Application Support/Retrospect/retro_isa.ini file to turn off ISA does not work. Every time I re-start retroISA, the switch is set back to 1.

I finally did BOTH:

Stop the RetroISA process: sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist

and

Prevent RetroISA from loading at startup: sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist Disabled -bool true

Now it still gives me the same error, and there is no retroISA process running. Reboot time....

My -516 errors go away when I disable RetroISA. I went through the FULL drill checking the disk, etc. No issues.

Reverting to the 9.0.2 client did no good.

Every 1/2 hour, the client would re-try, and hit a -516 error. I tried several times to KILL OFF RetroISA, and failed.

It is necessary to REMOVE /Library/LaunchDarmons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist - and reboot.

I found that doing the "sudo defaults write /Lib...retroisa.plist Disabled -bool true" did nothing.

The documentation here should be updated to say whether it applies to the server/engine machine or the client, and to add details to help in navigating these commands.

I lied. I did NOT kill off retroISA.

Now I've removed /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetroISAScans and retro_isa.ini AND RetrospectInstantScan.bundle

The (*#$(*&$#( RetroISA SW should no longer exist. I'm going to reboot again. It better not say "using Instant Scan...."

--

Here is the end of the log from retroISA_log.utx

$[//]+ $[15]$[16] version osx10.0.0.174 Launched at 3/16/2013 11:16 PM

$[//48/+ $[15]$[16] version %s%s Launched at %D %T

/]$[/s/3/osx/]$[/s/10/10.0.0.174/]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:16:36.613Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:16:36.613Z-05:00/]

$[//]ISAVolCon::IsaVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "0DD7ECC4-AB92-314C-B0C6-D312E058F807"$[//55/ISAVolCon::IsaVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "%s"/]$[/s/36/0DD7ECC4-AB92-314C-B0C6-D312E058F807/] $[//]ISAVolCon::IsaVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "957C554F-5396-3AE6-A448-2FF85B1614BA"$[//55/ISAVolCon::Is

aVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "%s"/]$[/s/36/957C554F-5396-3AE6-A448-2FF85B1614BA/]

$[//]ISAVolCon::IsaVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "A1451AAE-66D7-336B-A8FC-11F22644BEE4"$[//55/ISAVolCon::Is

aVolSpawnOne: starting thread on uuid "%s"/]$[/s/36/A1451AAE-66D7-336B-A8FC-11F22644BEE4/]

$[//]+ ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "/Volumes/Witsend-10A/", 3/16/2013 11:21:48 PM$[//63/+ ISAV

ol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "%s", %D %.1T/]$[/s/21//Volumes/Witsend-10A//]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.072Z

-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.072Z-05:00/] $[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: 1 folders need to be updated$[//53/ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: %d folders need to be updated/]$[/d/1/1/]

$[//]+ ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "/Volumes/WitsendHD/", 3/16/2013 11:21:48 PM$[//63/+ ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "%s", %D %.1T/]$[/s/19//Volumes/WitsendHD//]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.205Z-05:

00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.205Z-05:00/] $[//]+ ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "/Volumes/Witsend-10B/", 3/16/2013 11:21:48 PM$[//63/+ ISAV

ol::IsaTreeChanged: start update on volpath "%s", %D %.1T/]$[/s/21//Volumes/Witsend-10B//]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.210Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:21:48.210Z-05:00/]

$[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: 1 folders need to be updated$[//53/ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: %d folders need to be updated/]$[/d/1/1/] $[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: 12 folders need to be rescanned$[//55/ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: %d folders need to be r

escanned/]$[/d/2/12/] $[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: total time was 25 seconds, (scanning 2 seconds), (fixup 23 seconds)$[//93/ISAVol::Is

aTreeChanged: total time was %d seconds, (scanning %d seconds), (fixup %d seconds)/]$[/d/2/25/]$[/d/1/2/]$[/d/2/23/] $[//]- ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: finished update on volpath "/Volumes/Witsend-10B/", 3/16/2013 11:22:13 PM$[//66/- ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: finished update on volpath "%s", %D %.1T/]$[/s/21//Volumes/Witsend-10B//]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:22:1

3.550Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:22:13.550Z-05:00/] $[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: total time was 32 seconds, (scanning 4 seconds), (fixup 28 seconds)$[//93/ISAVol::Is

aTreeChanged: total time was %d seconds, (scanning %d seconds), (fixup %d seconds)/]$[/d/2/32/]$[/d/1/4/]$[/d/2/28/] $[//]- ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: finished update on volpath "/Volumes/Witsend-10A/", 3/16/2013 11:22:20 PM$[//66/- ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: finished update on volpath "%s", %D %.1T/]$[/s/21//Volumes/Witsend-10A//]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:22:2

0.607Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:22:20.607Z-05:00/] $[//]+ ISAVolCon::Exit: start 3/16/2013 11:22:53 PM$[//32/+ ISAVolCon::Exit: start %D %.1T/]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:

22:53.500Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:22:53.500Z-05:00/]

$[//]ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: M_TDirRescan err -1015 for diref 0xfffe5cdf, path "/Volumes/WitsendHD/Users/donlee/Li

brary/Application Support"$[//69/ISAVol::IsaTreeChanged: M_TDirRescan err %d for diref 0x%x, path "%s"/]$[/d/5/-1015/]$[/x

/8/fffe5cdf/]$[/s/59//Volumes/WitsendHD/Users/donlee/Library/Application Support/]

$[//]- ISAVolCon::Exit: stop 3/16/2013 11:23:07 PM$[//31/- ISAVolCon::Exit: stop %D %.1T/]$[/D/30/2013-03-16T23:23

:07.266Z-05:00/]$[/T/30/2013-03-16T23:23:07.266Z-05:00/]

~

OK. I finally got a backup to work without the -516 error. The last thing I did was remove: (rm -rf)

In /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/

RetroISAScans

retro_isa.ini

RetrospectInstantScan.bundle

My backup now says nothing about Instant Scan.

I note in the log above that the startup of RetroISA was starting the 10.0.0.174 version, which must be from the 10.0 client that I installed, and then overwrote by re-installing the 9.0.2 client. The 9.0.2 client install apparently did NOT remove these

10.0 components, and having the 9.0 client did not stop RetroISA from attempting to execute.

UGH.

OK, I don't get how to disable Instant Scan.

I've launchctl unload -w com.retrospect.retroisa.plist, I've added the exclusion for the volume in retro_isa.ini

ExcludedVolume0=/Volumes/Volume Name/

And then I restarted. And Retrospect still says "Using Instant Scan".

I looked at some pre-release notes for 10.1 and there is no mention of the -516 error, which is rather worrying.

Man, this is driving me nuts.

I'm trying to do various tests, adding and removing things from the Privacy pane in the retrospect client - and sometimes the backup just doesn't notice the changes, leaving folders unbacked up that are no longer in the Privacy pane. That is very poor form for a backup program!

First of all, sorry for the troubles you folks are experiencing.

I don't get how to disable Instant Scan.

To enable/disable Instant Scan, you would do so on the backup source computer. For client-based backup, change Instant Scan on the client computer. For local backup, change Instant Scan on the Retrospect server computer.

To disable Instant Scan on the backup source computer. Below are the relevant steps. We are also updating online documentation early next week based on customers' experience on the forum and via Support.

1. Some of our customers have been using the -w option with launchctl, thereby having Mac OS overriding Retrospect's control and also affecting Retrospect installation/upgrade. In that case, first undo the -w option.

1.1) Open the Terminal application, enter the following, and look for "com.retrospect.retroisa":

sudo more /private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd/overrides.plist

1.2) To remove this setting, open the Terminal application and enter the following:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :com.retrospect.retroisa" /private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd/overrides.plist

2. The command below unloads Instant Scan for the current Mac OS session. Instant Scan will be reloaded after reboot.

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist

3. To prevent Instant Scan from being reloaded after reboot:

sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa Disabled -bool true

sometimes the backup just doesn't notice the changes, leaving folders unbacked up that are no longer in the Privacy pane.

To reduce confusion, for Retrospect 10.1.0 (221) any form of immediate backup invoked by manually clicking a Run button will skip Instant Scan, regardless of whether Instant Scan is running on the backup source computer or not. "Using Instant Scan" won't appear in the log in that case. We are continuing to monitor feedback on Instant Scan and other features to provide solution and future product improvements.

For Retrospect 10.0 release and subsequent pre-releases, Instant Scan can be disabled as mentioned above.