Botched restores...

emulator

Hi all...

I've been putting Retrospect Multi-Server (with Open File Backup) through its paces on some test network client computers. I am able to get good, clean backups and restores on Mac OS computers (both OS 9 and X). However, I'm having problems with Windows clients. The backup appears to work OK, with the log showing no problems. However, when I try to restore the test system from a backup, things are not quite right. After the restore completes and I restart the client computer, Windows bombards me with setup windows for programs that should have already been restored from the backup. I must then insert the installer CDs for the programs that should have been restored. For example, Roxio EZ CD Creator was installed on the test backup client. After the restore, it appears that portions of the Roxio software is installed; however, I am prompted to insert the Roxio EZ CD Creator disc to complete the installation of the software. I am also greeted with a message stating "...no language support found..."

My procedure is as follows:

1. I do the backup over the network. The test backup computer is running the latest version of Retrospect Client. The client is running Windows 2000 Server SP4 (note: there is NO Active Director domain information on this test machine; it's only a standalone server).

2. After the backup is complete, I wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall Windows 2000 Server.

3. After the test computer is up and ready for network access, I install the Retrospect client and reboot.

4. When the test client is back up, I add it to the Retrospect client database. I then do a complete restore over the network.

5. Once the restore completes, I reboot the test machine. After logging in, I am greeted with the usual Retrospect Helper application that performs its "cleanup" duties. But I am also greeted with the "...please insert the installer CD..." prompts. I ignore them, and let the Retro Helper do its thing. I restart when prompted.

6. When the test machine comes back up, it still prompts me for the CDs.

On older versions of Retrospect, we used to have to install Windows to a "WINTEMP" folder first. We also had to use the "regcopy.exe" program to make sure that the registry was backed up correctly. But according to the docs, neither of these steps is necessary anymore. What's going on here?

Thanks in advance..

Marc Hoffman

After speaking with tech support on this, it seems that there is a known bug in Retrospect Multi-Server 6.5 that leads to the situation that I am seeing here. The part of the equation that I didn't publish in my original posting is this: we are using a "virtual CD" solution to speed installation of software over a network from ISO CD images. Retrospect seems to have problems backing up software that has been installed using this virtual CD-ROM driver (we are using daemon tools). Apparently, Dantz is working on a fix for the problem, but nothing is available at this time...bummer.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

emulator said:

...we are using a "virtual CD" solution to speed installation of software over a network from ISO CD images. Retrospect seems to have problems backing up software that has been installed using this virtual CD-ROM driver (we are using daemon tools). Apparently, Dantz is working on a fix for the problem, but nothing is available at this time...bummer.

What cd emulator software are you using? Paragon's cd-rom emulator, perhaps?

Archived