subvolume issues

Hello - tried a quick search with no results - hoping someone can help. Problem:

Subvoluming /Users on the main system partition (we use 3 partitions The System, temporary files, the users files). Original subvoluming looks like it works. Open up the subvolumes manager and somehow it has switched the /Users subvolume with the temporary Files partition.

System settings -> OS-X retrospect server (version 5.0 and 5.1 tried under OSX 10.2.6) - clients = 10.2.6 with Retrospect 5.0.540 (also tried latest version 5.1.109). If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from them. I couldn't find any information on the forum or on the web. many thanks, Ond

First the latest version of Backup is 5.1.167.

Open up the subvolumes manager and somehow it has switched the /Users subvolume with the temporary Files partition.

Can you describe where the subvolumes manager is for those using 5.1.x? I never heard of it. I thought the layout was the same for any edition with just additonal client settings, apparently not.

Apologies -> it is the same in all versions I believe. There's a Volume list in which you can specify the subvolumes. We select the subvolume there. The you take a look at the client settings. Go to the Volumes tab and look at the Volumes being backed up. The subvolume has changed to one of the other partitions. Hope that clarifies things a little bit. I was wondering if it might have something to do with Volume Descriptors. Some of our machines were installed with the do not include OS9 information in the Partition section of Disk First Aid (most of the machines hopefully). Some of them however probably did have the OS9 information there. Could this be casuing a problem? Thanks.

Quote:

Falcore said:

Hello - tried a quick search with no results - hoping someone can help. Problem:

Subvoluming /Users on the main system partition (we use 3 partitions The System, temporary files, the users files). Original subvoluming looks like it works. Open up the subvolumes manager and somehow it has switched the /Users subvolume with the temporary Files partition.

System settings -> OS-X retrospect server (version 5.0 and 5.1 tried under OSX 10.2.6) - clients = 10.2.6 with Retrospect 5.0.540 (also tried latest version 5.1.109). If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from them. I couldn't find any information on the forum or on the web. many thanks, Ond

Now I get it! Sorry for being a bit dense there. I don't use this feature. Do have a couple of more questions though. Maybe it's a OS9 partitioning thing but I would tend to doubt that.

1. Does Retro automatically do a scan of the drive when you set up your subvolumes? Have you forced it? Are the results any different?

2. Do the Subvolumes appear by name? Do you mean that they switched position or the data is switched? If you browse a volume can you see the files, and do they appear correct? It should be pretty easy to tell.

3. Do the names of Subvolumes appear correctly in the source when you schedule a back up?

4. Do the backups have the right data in them? Have you done a test back up from a subvolume to your backup media (what is it by the way?)?

Regards,

Henry

Archived