2 week rotation with Offsite Archive Strategy

Hello,

I need some help with a strategy. What I am looking to do is backup my data to one set for 2 weeks, then another set for two weeks. So perhaps a recycle on the first monday, normal for Tue-Fri, Mon-Fri of the next week. Then switch to set B.

Also, instead of going back to the tapes I used for set A, I would like to keep those offsite for 6 months and introduce new media for Set A eachtime.

I have too much data (and a slow DAT drive) to backup full each week so I am thinking of every two weeks full. I am moving to an AIT drive solution soon and will backup full each night.

Any help would be great.

I need some help with a strategy. What I am looking to do is backup my data to one set for 2 weeks, then another set for two weeks. So perhaps a recycle on the first monday, normal for Tue-Fri, Mon-Fri of the next week. Then switch to set B.

Also, instead of going back to the tapes I used for set A, I would like to keep those offsite for 6 months and introduce new media for Set A eachtime.

I'm not building you a backup set but rather giving a general hint here or there (this should be true in other versions but you'll have to verify):

1. In Retrospect 5.0/5.1 create a script to back up all local drives and/or network drives to your preferred tape drive as a Normal back up at a specific time daily, every four weeks.

2. Then set up another scheduler (line) in the script for the B tape with the same parameters, but beginning two weeks later.

3. In the same backup script for the same time on Monday and at a two week interval, add a new scheduler (line) to Recycle the backup. Check Preview after saving. You'll find that the Recycle line takes precedence over the Normal backup which will occur on the other dates!

4. Repeat #2-3 for the B tape's recycle plan adjusting the start dates.

5. Add other line(s) to Add New Media once every four weeks to the A (and/or B) Tapes.

6. Check and adjust as necessary going between a Preview and Script creation.

HIH,

Henry

Archived