unexpected end of file -39 during incremental file backup to external hd

I have an external FireWire hard disk divided into 3 partitions. I use one partition, "Incremental," for an incremental file backup to a file called "big incremental." I successfully performed one complete back a couple of days ago. Today, when I tried it, I got this error:

"- 5/5/2003 11:34:08 PM: Copying Gigas?

Can't save Snapshot in big incremental, error -39 (unexpected end of file).

5/5/2003 11:34:08 PM: Execution incomplete."

Tools:Verify was able to read the file just fine. Tools:Repair:Existing catalog file was done in a split second and similarly found nothing. But another attempt at the incremental backup failed. Then I tried "Repair file backup set." That ran for a while, without problem, and separated the catalog from "Big Incremental." Then the backup worked.

Does anyone understand what happened in the above error and what was fixed by "Repair file backup set"? By the way, my hard disk was freshly erased and partitioned just for the purpose of the original backup a few days ago.

Quote:

Does anyone understand what happened in the above error and what was fixed by "Repair file backup set"? By the way, my hard disk was freshly erased and partitioned just for the purpose of the original backup a few days ago.

There's a good chance that there is a problem with the drive that has been exposed by Retrospect. Even though it was freshly erased, it's possible that the drive or the interface to the drive is allowing corruption of some sort.

I'd be very cautious about trusting your data to this storage media.

Dave

Archived