Retrospect Hangs During Backup in OS X 10.2.5

I am having issues with Retrospect running a full backup. It will run for a short while and then it will hang forever. Sometimes it will backup 212 Gigs and sometimes it will backup 750 Megs. It is really random as to how much it will actually backup, but none the less it always hangs. When I try to cancel the backup, Retrospect locks up and I have to force quit Retrospect. This is what I am running:

G4/400

512 MB of RAM

20 GIG HD

Compaq ssl2020 AIT 2 Autoloader (an Overland Drive)

Adaptec 29160N - Flashed Bio to V1.2

Mac OS X 10.2.5

Retrospect Server 5.0.238

Retrospect Driver 3.5 (released 4/28/2003)

Retrospect Client 5.0.540

I am trying to back up an X-Serve with an X-Raid running 10.2.5 Server using the retro 5.0.540 client

I never get an error, the Retrospect box just hangs. When I look at the autoloader it says that it is idle, in other words its is waiting for Retrospect to tell it what to do next. As far as the SCSI connections, I am using the internal port on the SCSI card so that I get an lvd/se 68 pin to 68 pin Ultra 2 SCSI connection. The autoloader is terminated so I have eliminated that problem. I don’t quite know where to go next.

Is anyone else having similar problem?

Take a look at the thread Unable to consistenly back up to FireWire VXA drive.. These troubles could have the same root cause.

Please report on any other symptoms that the postings there might suggest. I am especially interested in the message that appears in the Retrospect Execution Status (progress) window. Does it say "Closing..." or "Updating catalog..."?

Is there any consistency as to the volumes being backed up when the hangs occur? If so, run Disk First Aid or another disk repair utility.

Do only big volumes experience the hang. If so, try defining and backing up sub-volumes of these volumes.

Do the hangs occur only on full recycle backups? Or do you see the problem on incremental backups too?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived