Failure to enable Client on a true WIN Server

serviceadin

We have inherited a system that is using the Windows professional package with 12 clients. We have 10 clients connected working with no problems. We went to add another client that happens to be a 2000NT Server. The install goes fine and in fact the client is recognized. When we enter the password, it comes back with a message box:

Additional License Required

Accessiung a Server requires a license for Application. (such as Retrospect Multi Server Bakcup or similar)

We are only backing up files on a box that happens to be a server. It is not a server for Retrospect. How can we remedy this quickly. We did add a laptop that is running XP home as a quick test and another box that is running NT 2000 (not a server) and it worked. We uninstalled the licenses and it shows 2 free but we continue to get the message above.

Quote:

We are only backing up files on a box that happens to be a server.

Backing up a server operating system as a client requires Retrospect Multi-Server.

Windows Client Requirements for Retrospect Professional

Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4.0 Workstation/2000 Professional/XP Home Edition/XP Professional

Retrospect Server Backup for Windows is required for backup of NT or 2000 Server clients.

A quick question...

What is the difference (outside of exposure of a "share") in chosing a source that is a in My Network Places? The obvious question is:

"What price am I paying for setting up my server directories that I wish to back-up as a share vs. buying a license that costs $599?"

The only downsides I see are:

1. lack of control on the client to control backups

2. exposure through a share (albiet small)

3. no notification at the client

Could you please let us know if we are missing anything obvious?

Regards,

Service Ad-in

Please keep in mind that this is not an official means of contacting Dantz. Due to post volume and other factors, Moderators may not respond promptly, or at all, to these discussions.

Upgrade pricing can be found at: http://www.dantz.com/upgrades/

You will not retain the registry, NTFS permissions or any other system state information when backing up as a network share.

Archived