In a dynamic DHCP environment...

serviceadin

We are relatively new to Retrospect 6 for Windows. We were doing some IT work for a client and happened upon it in their environment. I have a few questions on how it works.

First some background:

1. We have 12 client licenses.

2. We are in a DHCP environment that is fairly dynamic.

3. All machines are either 2000 or XP Prof.

My questions:

1. It looks like you name the client when you search. This appears to be related to the machine name. Is this correct?

2. When doing a backup or configuring a script is is asking me to marry the device, with the client, with the back-up set. Is this correct?

3. Lastly, when the scripts run on schedule it does not appear to be to the named machine but to the IP address of the original definition of a client. Is this correct? If so, this is quite a limitation in a DHCP environment. How do people resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Service Ad-in

Is somebody out there running this type of environment. The client is willing to spend more $$$ to get this working. We are faced with either trashing what we have today and starting over with a package we know can do this or figure this out. We would appreciate a quick response.

Regards,

Service Ad-in

1. It looks like you name the client when you search. This appears to be related to the machine name. Is this correct?

The client name defaults to the computer name. On first log-in, you have the opportunity to change the client name, and also when the client is logged in.

2. When doing a backup or configuring a script is is asking me to marry the device, with the client, with the back-up set. Is this correct?

A script is a set of instructions telling Retrospect what to do and when to do it. You can use any sources (clients or local volumes) with any destinations (backup sets). This does not mean that you are required to only use these combinations together in the future.

3. Lastly, when the scripts run on schedule it does not appear to be to the named machine but to the IP address of the original definition of a client. Is this correct? If so, this is quite a limitation in a DHCP environment. How do people resolve this?

If you are using Retrospect Professional, you could have only added clients through a multicast search of the local subnet. Once logged in, Retrospect will look for the client name via a search of the subnet - not by IP Address.

Thanks for the response. 1 and 2 are well understood. #3 appears to be inconsistent with what we are seeing. One client is backed up under a different client's name. Can this happen if the IP address is reset under DHCP or if the Dantz "server" is reset? We are trying to understand the circumstances that this can happen under.

Thanks,

Service Ad-in

Quote:

One client is backed up under a different client's name.

I can't think of any circumstances under which this would be possible - other then possibly imaging machines with client software.

Try this:

Open Client Control Panel

In Retrospect application, go to Configure > Volumes

Under the client machine listing, pick a hard drive and click browse

While Retrospect application is scanning the hard drive, check the client control panel to ensure that it is "In Use" by Retrospect.

Repeat for second client machine. This will tell you whether or not the client name is pointing at the right client machine. If it's not, you can always rename the client machine under Configure > Clients > Properties.

Archived