Retrospect automatic launch behind login panel

I recently updated my system to OS X 10.2.5. I have a few automated scripts set using Retrospect 5.0.238.

Today I started up my Mac, after the time a script was supposed to be run (my Mac was off at the time the script was set to run).

When the OS X login panel appeared (where you select a user and then login), I noticed Retrospect automatically launched. The Retrospect window appeared behind and partially obscured by the login window. Also, another window I have never seen before appeared asking for a password, with the username "root" already typed into the user field. There was a third window that appeared to be reporting an incorrect password for the root user.

Unable to access Retrospect, I logged in as usual. After logging in, and after being asked for and giving my admin password, I was able to quit Retrospect.

I have never seen this strange behavior before installing OS X 10.2.5.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Well, it isn't 10.2.5 specific, as it also happens on 10.2.4 and earlier too I suspect.

Basically, the automatic task has to run 'silently', which offers no opportunity to interact with it should you want to, or it has to pop up a window, which is confusing if you are not expecting it.

This is how Retrospect 5 has always worked in Mac OS X.

Scripts that are scheduled to run when no user is logged into the Aqua Finder will run behind the login panel.

Clicking on a Retrospect window will bring up the authentication challange dialog, same as it would if Retrospect was running unattended (with default Security preferences) within the Finder.

Retrospect always runs as root. But the authentication challenge window _within_ a Finder session is nice enough to populate the login field with the short name of the Effective User. When there is no logged in Finder user, Retrospect offers 'root' in the login field. BUT YOU CAN USE ANY ADMINISTRATOR LOGIN/PASSWORD PAIR in this window.

The login panel always sits smack in the front/middle of the screen; I know of no OS X program that can change this behavior.

Dave

Archived