Hi everyone, I'm trying to configure subnet broadcast to work over our network. It's not working! Does anyone have any advice for me? I put in xxx.xx.xx.1 for the subnet address (with the x's being real #'s of course), and 255.255.255.0 as the mask. Is this a pretty typical setting? Does anything pop up here as being off? With those settings in place, I am unable to see clients running OS 9 or X with TCP/IP in other subnets.

I know it's hard to answer not knowing more about our specific network, but please let me know if there is anything that is obviously wrong. Thanks!

Quote:

I'm trying to configure subnet broadcast to work over our network. It's not working! Does anyone have any advice for me? I put in xxx.xx.xx.1 for the subnet address (with the x's being real #'s of course), and 255.255.255.0 as the mask.

Try using xxx.xxx.xxx.0 instead.

And be sure that the mask you're using is correct...

Dave

Go to "System Preferences -> Network Preferences". That is, the Network pane of System prefences.

There you will find your machine's IP address, mask and router.

The mask you find there is the one you need to enter for Retrospect.

If the mask is 255.255.255.0, then the subnet address is your host IP address (or your router IP address) with the final 'quad' replaced by 0.

i.e. 192.168.1.25 would become 192.168.1.0.

If the mask is not 255.255.255.0, then you need calculate the subnet by masking (logical AND) the last octet with the mask. Basically, write the last octet in binary (for example 25 is 00011001). Do the same with the mask: 248 is (11111000). All the bits that are '0' in the mask, set to '0' in the last octet (00011000). Convert back to decimal (24). That's your subnet.

Thanks for all the great info, it was pretty helpful. I'm still a bit unclear on the subnet mask. Our computers are configured via DHCP. Hypothetically, my IP address is 129.29.28.90. The network pref payne shows a router address of 129.29.28.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. When I enter these 2 in the broadcast, I still can't see any of the computers. When I change the mask to say 129.29.28.255 I get a message saying I need to reconfigure, because it's going to broadcast to over 4000 computers.

I'm not very familiar with the functionality of a subnet mask, but does any of this info help?

Thanks again!

Archived