SCSI -> HVD-to-LVD/XServe/DLT Tape Backup Problems

Greetings, all. Hopefully you can help me out.

I purchased a DLT autoloader backup tape drive last year, for use here at work. We have since outgrown our old server, and are moving the intranet and backup functions to an XServe.

However, before I get too into this further, let me give you this:

THE ROSTER OF EQUIPMENT:

-----------------------------------

Old Server:

PowerMac G4 Dual-Proc

ATTO ExpressPCI PSCd SCSI Card [HVD, or high-voltage differential card]

New Server:

XServe Dual-Proc

ATTO Express PCI Pro UL3S-66 PCI [LVD, or low-voltage differential card]

DLT Autoloader Tape Drive:

Micronet DLT Autoloader Drive [DLT7280DTD] - 7-tape capacity

[Tape Loader = ADIC FastStor DLT. Tape Drive = Quantum DLT 4000]

WHAT I NEED TO DO:

I need to get this DLT tape backup drive, which is HVD/differential, and get it to talk to the SCSI card in the XServe, which is an LVD/single-channel SCSI card.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

After realizing that the tape drive is a high-voltage [HVD] device, and that the XServe is a low-voltage [LVD] device, I purchased a convertor from Black Box Networks, that converts HVD to LVD, and vice versa. That item is IC541A on the Black Box website.

I also called ATTO and made sure that the SCSI card in the XServe was up-to-date, firmware-wise. We downloaded the new flash for it, installed it, and now the SCSI card is all up to date as it needs to be.

THE PROBLEM:

After hooking everything up and powering on the server [last device to be powered up of course], when I go into Retrospect, I am not seeing the tape-drive portion of the tape backup drive.

In "Device Status" window in Retrospect Server on the XServe, I can see the tape-loading robot portion of the tape drive [ADIC FastStor DLT] on the SCSI ID that I assigned it - but the SCSI ID of the actual tape drive itself [Quantum DLT 4000] - is showing "(Unknown Response)".

I called Dantz Customer Service and they suggested to move the SCSI IDs [3] digits apart, making sure that the auto-loading robot was the higher of the two SCSI IDs. So, I set the SCSI ID of the Quantum tape drive itself to 2, and I set the SCSI ID of the ADIC loader robot to 5.

I shut down the XServe, then turned off the power to the tape drive, and the HVD<->LVD Convertor.

I then re-powered the HVD<->LVD Convertor, the tape drive, and the XServe, in that order.

Still, no change. Augh.

THE "KICKERS".

Apple supports ONLY this SCSI configuration on the XServe. And since it's ONLY a low-voltage [LVD] card, I cannot directly hook up the high-voltage [HVD] tape drive to it. Soooo, getting an [HVD] SCSI card to stick into the XServe is NOT an option.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

I *just* bought this tape drive last year, and it's been working fine on the current Intranet server. It was a LOT of loot, and this little HVD<->LVD convertor box that I purchased from Black Box last week was an additional $600 plus shipping...

I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone has, short of buying a new tape backup drive...

Thanks for your time, and Dantz reps - please feel free to send me e-mail off-list here, or even give me a call, if you can - I would really, REALLY appreciate it...

Quote:

Old Server:

PowerMac G4 Dual-Proc

ATTO ExpressPCI PSCd SCSI Card [HVD, or high-voltage differential card

::snip::

Soooo, getting an [HVD] SCSI card to stick into the XServe is NOT an option.

::snip::

I *just* bought this tape drive last year, and it's been working fine on the current Intranet server.

I'd suggest you keep using the G4 as a backup server machine, since it's proven to work with your card and your preferred OS. Put a client on the XServe and back it up remotely.

SCSI simply does not play nice on OSX; if you have a configuration that works you're lucky!

Dave

Archived