Separating jobs & dev mgmt from Retrospect app

rthomas

Job execution and media/device management should be controlled from the Retrospect application, but be run by, for example, a Windows service (or services).

If I want to edit/create some scripts, set some preferences, check some reports, I shouldn't have to wait for a running backup or restore job...or a tape device inventory (which can take a while when it's an autoloader).

Likewise, I should be able to initiate jobs in the app & then log out of Windows and not affect the current action.

This waiting crap is a huge time-related barrier to successful testing & effective management of environments with large data sets & lots of servers/clients.

On a related note, why does it take Retrospect so long to inventory a tape? Backup Exec takes about 30 seconds to inventory my 10-cartridge autoloader; it takes about 10 minutes in Retrospect.

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

>>Job execution and media/device management should be controlled

>>from the Retrospect application, but be run by, for example, a

>> Windows service (or services).

and

>>I should be able to initiate jobs in the app & then log out of

>>Windows and not affect the current action.

The above, plus a remote control/view console which lets select users interact with Retro according to per-user security settings. I should be able to let my secretary see the log, but not change anything, while letting myself do everything from the comfort of my office instead of the server room.

Archived