VXA-1 stoppages again!

Earlier in the year there was a lot of activity on this list regarding the poor performance of VXA drives. Unlike earlier versions of Retro, the first release on X stopped the tape every 200 MB and did repositioning exercises. That caused a significant performance hit and a lot of backup failures for some folks. Eventually Dantz fixed this with a driver update, but too late for my drive, which was rendered unusable by this constant abuse.

I recently updated to 5.0.238 and Driver Update 3.1.105, and its back, at least for me. Every 200 MB the drive stops and repositions. The Retro log shows the above noted version number for the DU. I left Retro alone and substituted the previous Driver Update 3.0.104. The stoppages went away. Let's hear it for Configuration Management and regression testing. When will 5.0 ever work?

Mac OS X Server 10.1.4 (with client update 10.1.5) on AGP G4/400 through a ATTO EPCI DC to a (replaced) LVD VXA-1 drive. Only SCSI device on this port. Terminated properly with really short cables, etc, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I was very happy to learn from you that there was a driver version that avoided the stoppages. Prior to today, I had not found ANY version that worked right. I had the same problem you did with Driver version 3.1.105.

Today I downloaded the most recent Driver version 3.2.104 and found the stoppage problem was gone. My initial tests show speeds comparable to what I have seen under OS 9. I had been so frustrated with Retrospect version 5, I had gotten a refund. Now it appears I can finallyl purchase it for keeps. Hooray!

Archived