OS X Client Hangs Backup Server

rgliebe

I have finally been able to confirm the cause of a problem that was killing my Windows based Retrospect 6.0 backup server. Not only does doing a threshold speed test cause problems, but so does having a client countdown, irregardless of how the user responds to it (if at all). Having either of these two options selected in the backup script causes the backup server to hang indefinitely on a OS X 10.2.x client, without logging an error message, until someone intervenes. The hanging occurs at the very beginning, even before the first volume is scanned for the files that are on it. Unfortunately, this problem is not consistent, but it does happen most of the time. I am using the latest Retrospect client for OS X, version 5.0.536, and the Windows backup server version is 6.0.206.

I have a very similar experience. With MacOS X 10.2, client version 5.0.536, the windows backup server correctly finds the client and puts up a dialog asking the user to backup or defer. Regardless of what the user does, the server hangs at "Preparing to execute" forever.

This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes by stopping the backup server and restarting it, the client will be successfully backed up.

Standard uninstall / reboot / reinstall sequence has no impact on the problem.

We would all benefit from some additional debugging tools to see what the server is actually doing (and seeing) when it is "preparing to execute". Is there a hidden debugging option that can be activated?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had similar problems with the OS X clients under Retrospect 6.0. I have found that when I create a ProActive script that some, not all, the OS X clients will hang on "Preparing to Execute." When I create a managed backup script I do not have this problem with the OS X clients. My OS X clients are 5.036 and the server is 6.0.206.

I was told by Dantz tech support to change the order of active network ports and reinstall the client. Been there done that no changes.

I recreated a proactive script and changing the countdown to 0 and seems to help with a few of the problem clients. We'll see how things go over the next few backup cycles.

opus

The hanging problem was resolved by upgrading the clients to 5.0.540. Other problems, like the Defer button not working on the client countdown, still remain. There also seems to be a memory issue on the backup server that comes up about once a week, usually while trying to back up an OS X client. Retrospect starts acting like the server only has 100 MB of RAM and refuses to back up the volumes with over 50,000 files until I reboot the backup server. So it looks like I traded one very annoying problem for a less annoying problem by doing the client upgrade.

Archived