How can I play CD's when using Retrospect

When I run Retrospect, I can no longer control my CD-ROM DVD drive (933mhz G4 MacOS 10.2) from the keyboard or from iTunes. Even though I use a tape drive for back ups, Retrospect takes control of the DVD/CD-ROM drive and I can only eject an audio CD if I do it from within Retrospect. Try as I might I have not found a way to get Retrospect to ignore the drive. (Configure -> Devices ->Storage Devices -> highlight the DVD but "Ignore ID" is undelectable) What can I do? I want Retrospect Server to run continuously on this machine and to have to quit retrospect to use the DVD / CD-ROM would be very inconvenient. Is there a file I can remove from a Library so it will no longer take control of the drive?

SCSI is very different in OS X. Before, any device had a unique SCSI ID that Retrospect could be told to Ignore. But there is no longer an easy way to identify/ignore a particular device.

(and yes, I understand that IDE and FireWire do not connect through the SCSI bus, but they all make SCSI calls)

I suppose Dantz might be able to find away around this; we'll have to wait and see if they do.

Dave

• 2 months later...

How about that dialog that Retrospect puts up telling me I can't use my CD drive, when I didn't want to in the first place, if I happen to have a disc in it when my scheduled backup tries to launch. This sits there keeping the backup from running on my tape drive until I see and dismiss the dialog. Surely Dantz has some control over this, give me a way to tell the software not to bother me about this!

Archived