What is the best way to move backup data to new media?

I have some 6.1 backup sets that I want to clear off my passport drives but still keep them accessible. I have tried to just copy them over to the new hard drive but they aren't recognized by the backup catalogs because of their creation dates. They are both 85g. I have a new terrabit drive that I want all my backup data on. I did transferred the data and started rebuilding the catalog but it looks as if that will take around 24 hours. There has to be a simpler way.

My goodness, Russ I did the transfer thing. I estimated it would take 70 hours to transfer! This is for a file that is 101g. The last file I manually transfered over was a 85g file then I rebuilt the catalog. That took 30 hours to complete. I would think there would some faster way to do this! I think I will stick with my way of manually transferring and rebuilding the catalog. Hopefully that will at least let me get it done over a weekend instead of 3 days.

My goodness, Russ I did the transfer thing. I estimated it would take 70 hours to transfer! This is for a file that is 101g. The last file I manually transfered over was a 85g file then I rebuilt the catalog. That took 30 hours to complete. I would think there would some faster way to do this!

I made the suggestion I did because it seemed that there is some issue with your catalogs, and that they needed to be rebuilt. The Transfer process that I suggested takes about the same amount of time as rebuilding the catalog (because a catalog is recreated in the process), and gives you the option of applying filters (selectors) to choose what is transferred. You can also combine backup sets in the process, etc.

There is also the approach that one would take along the lines of "moving Retrospect to a new computer". See the section entitled "Moving Retrospect" on page 162 of the Retrospect 6.x for Macintosh Users Guide

Russ

Lennart, I think you've got it. The machine that Retrospect is loaded on is an older 1.25 GHz G4. I assumed the USB on the back of the machine was 2 but in looking at the System Profiler, it is listing them at 1.22. I think my best bet is to hook my drives up to another computer using USB2 to transfer the files over. Then I will wait for the weekends to rebuild the catalogs on the machine that has Retrospect.

Russ, you're suggestion lead to even better achievement! I transfered the files on a separate computer that has the USB2 connection. This took about 2 hours per file. I then named these drives exactly like the old backup drives. I then did the restore file function. It stated that the catalog of the file was damaged and to repair it. I went to the newly copied files on the new drives and unlocked them and did a repair, which took just minutes. I went back and tried to restore a file and IT FOUND IT! It recognized the new file on the new drive. SUCCESS! Thanks for all your help!

Lennart, I think you've got it. The machine that Retrospect is loaded on is an older 1.25 GHz G4. I assumed the USB on the back of the machine was 2 but in looking at the System Profiler, it is listing them at 1.22.

I have a dual 1.25Ghz G4 PowerMac and I put a USB 2 card in it. I think the cost was about $50 and absolutely worth it! Be sure to get a Mac compatible card!