Corrupted rdb file

jfclemay

Greetings,

I'm using Retrospect 7.6 on Windows Vista to backup one laptop.

The backup set originally comprised of one external hard disk only. It recently filled up, so I added a second member, a 2.5" disk in a Firewire / USB enclosure. Occasionally, Retrospect reported "Trouble communicating" errors with that drive, in the middle of a backup. But often, when I connected it in USB, the backup went from start to end without error.

Alas... It appears that at least one .rdb file is now corrupted. When I start a backup, or when I use the 'Verify Media' tool, I eventually get a message saying: "Please select the Backup Set member: ... " Meanwhile, the drive is still visible in My Computer. I click Choices, Browse, and Retrospect asks: "Where is AA000646.rdb". I browse to the file, and it says: "This file is corrupted or does not belong to this Backup Set". Indeed, the file is smaller than 600 MB, even though AA000647 exists.

So... Is there anything that I can do, apart from declaring that the member is 'lost or damaged' (thereby losing all the good backup data on this drive)?

Many thanks and merry holidays,

Jean-Francois