Will Ret. 6.1 backup a SnowLeopard Client Users folders correctly?

Hi,

Maybe my search terms weren't the best, but I can't find info on this combination.

Our dept. has long run Retrospect 6.1 on a PPC G4 (now OS 10.4) to back up multiple network clients - under the standard "Users Folders and Prefs (OS X)" selection.

We're replacing a PPC with a new iMac Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with Rosetta.

Will the standard 6.2.234 client run successfully under Snow Leopard on our new machine for backing up "Users Folders and Prefs"?

Thanks.

Our dept. has long run [color:red]Retrospect 6.1[/color] on a PPC G4 (now OS 10.4) to back up multiple network clients - under the standard "Users Folders and Prefs (OS X)" selection.

We're replacing a PPC with a new iMac Intel Core 2 Duo running [color:red]Snow Leopard 10.6.2[/color] with Rosetta.

Will the standard 6.2.234 client run successfully under Snow Leopard on our new machine for backing up "Users Folders and Prefs"?

From the Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement:

Unsupported Configurations

The following Retrospect configurations are [color:red]unsupported[/color] with Snow Leopard, and they will remain [color:red]unsupported[/color] in the future.

• EMC [color:red]Retrospect 6.1[/color] and earlier for Mac
  • EMC Retrospect 7.5 and earlier for Windows

Not just the machine on which Retrospect 6.1 runs, but any clients that talk to Retrospect 6.1.

Unsupported.

Russ

That is too bad. I was hoping that the client would be happy under Rosetta and that User Files backup was so innocuous that it would avoid all the problems posted about backing up compressed 10.6 system files. Perhaps Time Machine is the only option.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Retrospect 8 requires 10.5. My laptop is at 10.6, but my backup server is running 10.4.

The server OS is stable as a rock, and I don't have any real reason to invest in an upgrade. Especially since upgrading would require upgrading other software and make the total price unrealistic.

Retrospect has been great for years, but I'm going to have to rely on Time Machine for my laptop, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

The question was, "Will it work?" The answer, in my experience, is "Yes."

"Unsupported" is not the same as "does not work."

I routinely backup /User/xxx on 10.6 using Retrospect on a 10.4 machine. Every failure I have experienced was no different from backing up 10.4 or 10.5 /User/xxx. -- That is, save set volumes locked or loss of client configuration requiring forgetting and re-adding client and re-adding subvolumes to script. Works on both MacBook Pro and Intel Mini.

http://forums.dantz.com/skins/GL2007/icons/grin.gif And, yes, I have restored files.

Edited by Guest