Scripted backup to removable hdd quandry

Hi all, bit of a problem that has been puzzling me.

Scenario

We run Retrospect server backing up network clients to several sets of removable hdds utilising several scripts.

We have 4 sets of media (Backup Set 1 - 4) & each set of media comprises 6 disks.

We lost several disk through attrition and utilised the working disks to supplement what is now 4 working sets of media with 5 hhds

I've bought a new set of 5 hdds, created a new backup set (Backup Set 5) and corresponding script based on the other backup scripts.

Problem

I plugin the first hdd of the new media, start Backup Set 5 and off Retrospect goes, backing up clients to 1-Backup Set 5.

After the first clients are backed up I plugin the next disk.

Once Retrospect determines it has a new hdd inserted it renames the fresh disk 2-Backup Set 4, ignores 1-Backup Set 5 and starts writing to 2-Backup Set 4

I erased the media using the Retropect option to do so and called it 2-Backup Set 5 but as soon as I kick off the server again it renames it.

I thought maybe I've missed something here and hopefully someone might offer some pointers!

There is another solution that we use.

The reason Retrospect is creating member "2-Backup Set 4" is because member "1-Backup Set 4" is full. Whenever a backup server script is running, Retrospect will try to rotate among the various destination backup sets and, having written to Backup Set 5 for awhile, it will prefer to write to another available backup set.

One solution is to create member "2-Backup Set 4" yourself by running an immediate backup of a few files to Backup Set 4. Then remove member "2-Backup Set 4." The next time, Retrospect should create and write to "2-Backup Set 5" when there is blank media available (unless there is another backup set that is also waiting for a new member).

Be aware that, under a backup server script, Retrospect will always choose on its own to name the next backup set member if there is more than one destination backup set awaiting a new member. If you wish to control exactly which backup set Retrospect is using at a given time, you may prefer to use a standard backup script rather than a backup server script.

Basically I need to disable the other destinations until I have filled Backup Set 5. At that point I can then move to the next set in the rotation (Backup Set 1) and re-enable all destinations, correct?

Correct!

Also consider Twickland's solution. That way you don't even have to disable the destinations.