sleep after backup option

Richy_Boy

One of my little projects for next year is to save electricity... it would be really helpful if there was a backup selector tick box to put the machines (be it server or client) to sleep/suspend once the backup is complete.

Our office is pretty much a typical 8-6 office, yet has extended hours for some services through US timezones... but for most of the night the servers are whirring away without much to do and even more so over the weekend where simple mail, domain and file services need to be up and running.

So, what do you think? Possible, worthwhile?

The machines could all be woken up again early Monday morning with a WOL script so everything is back up and running by the time staff get in.

Of course, I could create a domain script to suspend machines, but it's important that they stay away until they are backed up for the night...!

Rich

Yeah, I really wish for something so obviously simple to implement it's a bit beyond (my) belief why this isn't already implemented in the current software...

In the old days when I used Retrospect for Macintosh Dantz had a nice wait for Retrospect at shutdown option...

Being able to have the client shutdown or sleep itself would save both a lot of energy and money.

So EMC, do what is the -right- thing to do and make this happen (again)! Pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh they were.. it's in 7.7 under Scripts > Options [More Choices] > Execution Tree > Client

There are also a 'Enable Wake-on-LAN' tick-box on the client settings too. (could do with this being a group setting that's inhereted, rather than on a per-client basis)..

Just need to find a wake to ping a WOL packet to all these machines now on Monday morning, I'm assuming I can use the 'External Execution' script to call an app. Would be great to have WOL as a script option and then to choose the machines/groups to ping in a schedule.

Thanks guys!

edit: oh, it doesn't sem to work as I had imagined. i.e. I turn this on and backup my laptop and nothing happens. I was expecting it to sleep :D

Rich

Edited by Guest