Is Retrospect 8.1 Reliable?

We are current running Retrospect 6.1 to backup our servers and workstations (almost all Mac). We really need to move to a Disk-2-Disk-2-Tape solution. On paper Retrospect 8.1 meets our needs at a reasonable price. But can I trust it? If I can't I need to look at other solutions, some which are much more expensive.

In a nutshell, when we do a full backup there is too much data to backup in an evening. I would like to backkup to 2 disk arrays, and then have 1 array backed up to tape (tape is still important since we need to take our backups off-site). This would fill the many data holes we currently have.

The official reviews of Retrospect aren't helpful because they do not cover enterprise backup, and some of the anecdotal reviews are disappointing. I was hoping to get a better feel for the quality of the product here.

It is to the state where it works for some configurations and not for others. There is no manual.

I suggest you download the free trial and see if it works for you. If your backup server running Retrospect is a PPC, I'd suggest upgrading that server to a modern Intel architecture Mac first.

Russ