Unable to get email alerts from Retro 6.1

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately no matter which of the scripts I try to run from Retro I get the same error message:

com.apple.launchd[169] ([0x0-0xfc0fc].AuthenticateUser[64618]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 64621 PPID 1 LaunchCFMApp

If I try to run any other script on the server that isn't part of Retro they all run fine.

Yes tried all that. I even pulled scripts from a different server & tried them but got the same problem. I get the feeling it's a permissions problem with Retro trying to run the script.

Maybe I will try running the script outside of Retro to see if I get the error & then create a new script & get Retro to run it.

Maybe I will try running the script outside of Retro to see if I get the error & then create a new script & get Retro to run it.

Well, you might be able to test the crashing issue, but the script won't be able to send email because it receives Apple Events from Retrospect in order to cause the emails to be sent.

I seem to vaguely recall some issues regarding the AppleScript editor being used on this script on an Intel architecture machine, because Retrospect 6.1 is running emulated under Rosetta.

You might search these forums on that point, because a workaround does exist. I think that CallMeDave provided the solution.

Russ

I seem to vaguely recall some issues regarding the AppleScript editor being used on this script on an Intel architecture machine, because Retrospect 6.1 is running emulated under Rosetta.

You might search these forums on that point, because a workaround does exist. I think that CallMeDave provided the solution.

Ah, found it. See this thread with the solution:

Retrospect Event Handler crashes if script edited on Intel

I think it has to do with the compiled AppleScript code spewed forth by the AppleScript editor, then used under Rosetta and passed back and forth with Retrospect, which is running under Rosetta on Intel.

Oh, and Lennart is correct upthread. Only use the Python version of the REH.

Russ

I managed to recreate to problem experienced by the other thread & it looks like it's the same problem I have. My only problem now is that I am accessing the server remotely & every time I try to send over the script I modified on the PPC it ends up as a unix executable at the other end. Looks like I'll have to go there next week anyway so I'll do it then.

Has anyone got any Ideas what might be causing the other error I'm getting.

Retrospect[56035] Retrospect(56035,0xa0914820) malloc: *** error for object 0x194020: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Causes Retro to quit part way through a job.

I managed to recreate to problem experienced by the other thread & it looks like it's the same problem I have. My only problem now is that I am accessing the server remotely & every time I try to send over the script I modified on the PPC it ends up as a unix executable at the other end. Looks like I'll have to go there next week anyway so I'll do it then.

Heck, I only can access our server remotely because it's headless. Have you tried encapsulating the file in a zip archive or tar file or perhaps putting it in a sparseimage .dmg when sending it over, then retrieving the file on the remote end? There's no reason you would need to be onsite to do this transfer.

And remember that you have to change the name of the REH to "Retrospect Event Handler" (remove the extension) for historical reasons.

Has anyone got any Ideas what might be causing the other error I'm getting.

Retrospect[56035] Retrospect(56035,0xa0914820) malloc: *** error for object 0x194020: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Causes Retro to quit part way through a job.

I'd suggest starting a different thread for that after you get the script working. Or, remove the REH to test whether that issue is related to the Rosetta AppleScript issue. If it still happens without REH, then it's an unrelated issue.

Russ