Replace mac - easiest way to get it up and running with retrospect again?

Hi

I don't know much about retrospect, but I need to replace one of the clients in our network. It's a mac running as fileserver, no files are actually saved on the fileserver but on a lacie raid external drive.

I have rolled a new mac with higher specs and wonder if I can just copy some files from the old mac to the new one to get it working with retrospect again?

Hi

Ok, the old server is a tiger, according to the link it only works on leopard.

Doing a spotlight search on the old server on retrospect the only thing that appears is a sh file on the desktop.

I'm not sure theres even a retrospect client application installed. Can this be true? Is this file the only thing I have to move?

Doing a spotlight search on the old server on retrospect the only thing that appears is a sh file on the desktop.

I'm not sure theres even a retrospect client application installed. Can this be true?

Your search should have turned up Retrospect Client, and it should have been in the Applications folder. A search for "retro" should also turn up files beginning with "retroclient" and "retropds," assuming a recent version of the Retrospect Client was installed.

BTW, what version of the Retrospect app are you using? If you are backing up other client computers, what version of the Retrospect Client software is installed on them?

It's possible the volume may have been being backed up as a mounted server volume instead of as a client volume. If you go to Configure> Volumes, where is the source volume in question listed? Is it under Backup Clients or somewhere under Local Desktop? If it is not listed under Backup Clients, you were backing it up as a mounted server volume. While you could continue to do so, it's usually better to install Retrospect Client. If you do choose to back it up as a mounted server volume, be sure to follow the instructions in the User's Guide in the Tools chapter under Working with Volumes/Volume Utilities. In order for Retrospect to have access to a server volume, it needs to mount the share itself; you can't mount the share under your user account.