Where have my Snapshots Gone?

Retrospect 6.1.230

Driver 6.1

OS 10.4.11

File Backup to 1TB Hard Drive

I recently had problems with my backups, thought that I had a drive failure but it turned out to be a bad firewire cable. When I got back up and running and proceeded to do a "Normal" backup, I received an error message -

Can't save Snapshot in G5 2007 Backup B, error -194 (unknown).

8/4/2009 12:46:28 AM: Execution incomplete.

I proceeded to "Update Existing Catalog File" and received this error message -

+ Executing Recatalog at 8/4/2009 10:24 AM

To backup set G5 2007 Backup B…

Can't create Snapshot, error -194 (unknown).

8/4/2009 1:37:29 PM: 218 execution errors.

Completed: 383713 files, 266.2 GB

I'm not sure what went wrong or how to proceed, any suggestions?

Charles

The new drive, as well as the old drive, is formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I can see from the log that backups were fine until just over a month ago, this error began at the same time that I had problems with the faulty firewire cable. What seems strange is that the snapshots can not be retrieved from the media when doing a recatalog.

Lennart - Thanks again for your response. Disk Utility reports that both of the drives are fine, no repairs needed. I don't have any difficulty writing a file to or from the the drives.

When performing a backup the error comes up

"Can't save Snapshot in G5 2007 Backup Set, error -194 (unknown).

8/5/2009 1:00:23 AM: Execution incomplete."

When I tried to recatalog it comes up

"Can't create Snapshot, error -194 (unknown)."

On the surface this seems like two different errors, but possibly they mean the same thing, that Retrospect can not save the snapshot. I can "Verify" the set, at least it begins to read the files though I did not continue through the entire 266 GB's.

Charles

Does that apply even if the file has a resource fork? (A "Classic" application has a resource fork, for instance.)

Yes, I just copied both a Word document and Word itself, both from my system 9 days. Was able to write to and from each drive.

I might mention that this problem began about a month ago, I purchased a new 1 TB drive and duplicated my Retrospect backup data to the new drive. I am now working on both the old and the new, they both exhibit the same behavior.

I also did a restore this morning, searched for a file to restore and it successfully retrieved the file.

One more item - You are correct in that the snapshots are there. I tried Tools - Backup Sets - Configure - Snapshots - Add. I was given a window with a list of all of the snapshots but then get the error when I try to "Add" any of the snapshots.

+ Executing Retrieve Snapshot at 8/6/2009 8:25 AM

From backup set G5 2007 Backup Set…

Snapshot: root, Charles, 6/1/2009 1:11 AM

Can't retrieve Snapshot, error -194 (unknown).

8/6/2009 8:25:29 AM: Execution incomplete.

Does anyone have any other suggestion for dealing with this problem? I'm at a total lost as to how to proceed. Since I duplicated my backup set onto a new drive and the problem exists on both the old and the new drive, it seems to me that the backup data is causing the problem. Is there anyway that Retrospect can analyze or repair the backup data? :confused2: