Backup script just stops...

Hi guys,

Had to roll back to Retrospect 6 due to a issue with version 8.

For some reason our backup starts to run and then just stop and returns to desktop.

Is this a known issue?

Not much in the logs either....

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.230

launched at 30/7/2009 09:21

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.15.101

+ Normal backup using FW800 12PM at 30/7/2009 09:28

To backup set FW800 12PM…

- 30/7/2009 09:28:16: Copying Shared Files on Shared Files…

launched at 30/7/2009 10:41

Many thanks

Jul 30 09:20:40 intelxserve [0x0-0xd65d65].com.MindVision.InstallerVISE[0]: ln: /sbin/mount_retrospectcd: File exists

Jul 30 09:21:06 intelxserve authexec[61490]: executing /Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect.app/Contents/MacOS/AuthenticateUser.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../LaunchRetro

I'm just trying a removable disk backup rather than file. Got a bit further this time, but my other 2 backups are file backups. So i'll need to get it fixed.

What devices are you using for your destination backup sets? How are they connected to the host computer? Are there other devices on the same bus?

The Retrospect log suggests that Retrospect is closing even before the source is scanned. This suggest a hardware problem or a corrupt configuration file.

You might try launching Retrospect with a default configuration and see if that makes a difference. With Retrospect not running, go to /Library/Preferences/Retrospect and drag Retro.Config to the desktop. Relaunch Retrospect, which will cause it to create a default Retro.Config file. You'll then need to tell Retrospect where the catalog files are located; probably easiest just to double-click on the catalog in Finder. If you can successfully run an Immediate Backup under the default configuration, you've found your problem.

If the problem still exists, I'd probably use Disk Utility to check the directory on your boot volume (not necessarily because that's the most likely area for trouble, but because it's easy to check), and then start digging into the destination hardware.

Have you considered the possibility that the difficulty you're having with Retrospect 6 could be a different manifestation of the same problem that caused an issue with Retrospect 8?

Hi,

The engine for 8 was stopped and then i delete all preferences for version 8.

Had to roll back to Retrospect 6 due to a issue with version 8.

Unclear how you did the "roll back".

Did you uninstall Retrospect 8 or at least stop the Retrospect 8 engine from starting? Retrospect 8 might be competing with Retrospect 6.

Russ

Thank you for your reply.

To confirm....

The backup is connected to a FW drive which is locally attached. There are other devices on the same bus so i will remove.

I'll try what you suggested and come back to you.

Problem i had with version 8 was. It completed the 1.2 tb backup. Then when it came around to run again, it wanted to rewrite the whole lot again. I just gave up at this point.

I'll come back to you this afternoon.

Thanks

What devices are you using for your destination backup sets? How are they connected to the host computer? Are there other devices on the same bus?

The Retrospect log suggests that Retrospect is closing even before the source is scanned. This suggest a hardware problem or a corrupt configuration file.

You might try launching Retrospect with a default configuration and see if that makes a difference. With Retrospect not running, go to /Library/Preferences/Retrospect and drag Retro.Config to the desktop. Relaunch Retrospect, which will cause it to create a default Retro.Config file. You'll then need to tell Retrospect where the catalog files are located; probably easiest just to double-click on the catalog in Finder. If you can successfully run an Immediate Backup under the default configuration, you've found your problem.

If the problem still exists, I'd probably use Disk Utility to check the directory on your boot volume (not necessarily because that's the most likely area for trouble, but because it's easy to check), and then start digging into the destination hardware.

Have you considered the possibility that the difficulty you're having with Retrospect 6 could be a different manifestation of the same problem that caused an issue with Retrospect 8?

Here an update for you....

Done exactly what you suggested, including formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of Retro 6 as well as removing all prefs.

Did the same thing.

It actually starts copying the files. Got as far as 221gb and then just returns to desktop.

Log as below....

launched at 31/7/2009 09:09

+ Normal backup using FW800 12pm at 31/7/2009 09:19

To backup set fw800 12pm…

- 31/7/2009 09:19:25: Copying Shared Files on Shared Files…

launched at 31/7/2009 11:50

Also see log from console....

31/07/2009 11:43:56 ReportCrash[28652] Formulating crash report for process Retrospect[1389]

31/07/2009 11:43:56 ReportCrash[28652] Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Retrospect_2009-07-31-114356_intelxserve.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0

Process: Retrospect [64372]

Path: /Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect.app/Contents/MacOS/AuthenticateUser.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Retrospect

Identifier: Retrospect

Args: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp /Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect.app/Contents/MacOS/AuthenticateUser.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Retrospect