Two Appearances of Local Computer in sidebar

After installation, there are two appearances of my Local Computer with two different IPs, one the local IP (seemingly correct) of the computer, the other an IP 127.0.0.0. Any idea why this is? Seems to automatically be there after installation- I tried it twice.

Does the fact that I am using NAS shared drive (a USB drive attached to my wireless base station) as a source have something to do with this?

I checked to see if one was the client by turning off / removing the Client app from the local computer. That clearly wasn't the cause and it did create havoc, causing a complete reinstall of Retro's other components (kind of expected...).

My set up is detailed below (signature line). Let me know if more detail is needed. A screen shot is attached showing the Sidebar in the console screen.

After installation, there are two appearances of my Local Computer with two different IPs, one the local IP (seemingly correct) of the computer, the other an IP 127.0.0.0. Any idea why this is? Seems to automatically be there after installation- I tried it twice.

(1) It's clear from your screen shot that you are running Retrospect 8.x. This is the wrong forum for Retrospect 8 questions. Try here:

Retrospect 8 forums

(2) you are seeing the expected, normal behavior. Your local computer does have multiple IP addresses, as do all. 127.0.0.1 is the "localhost" IP, by which processes on your local computer can talk to other processes on the local computer via IP. Retrospect 8.x uses that for the Retrospect console to talk to the Retrospect engine when they both are on the same computer. I suggest you read the manual. Oops, there is no manual. Sorry.

Does the fact that I am using NAS shared drive (a USB drive attached to my wireless base station) as a source have something to do with this?

No. See above.

If you want to see the interfaces on your computer and their IP addresses, in terminal, use the commands

ifconfig

and

netstat

(netstat, by default, shows hostnames rather than IP addresses - e.g., localhost rather than 127.0.0.1)

Russ

Edited by Guest
correct typo in ifconfig name

you are seeing the expected, normal behavior

Having two listings of the same machine is not normal or necessary. Just use the "-" button at the bottom of the General pane of the Retrospect Preferences to delete one and retain the one you want; either keep the LAN address (if it's static on that machine), or keep the localhost address if your engine machine is running on a machine w/DHCP (probably not a good idea in general).