Backing up Retrospect Server

Folks,

I am currently running Retrospect 6.1.230 on a G5 xServe that has 10.3.9 installed (server)

i'm experiencing lots of issues with the operating system so am looking at doing an erase and install to Mac OS Leopard instead.

I have a number of automated process and scripts set up that i don't want to lose. Is is possible for me to backup Retrospect 6.1 and its settings and then have the option to restore with a reinstallation?

any help would be appreciated

Kind regards

so7

Yes, you can back up Retrospect's settings. They are located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, with the most important file being Retro.Config.

You will also need to back up your various backup set catalogs to avoid having to recreate them from the media. You should back up these catalogs to a new backup set containing just the catalogs, since you will have to recreate the catalog for this catalog backup from the media.

Backing up the configuration files and the catalogs is important, but you may also want to simply copy them (in Finder) to some other volume that you do not intend to wipe, and then copy them back to the appropriate locations on your clean boot volume. This will be a somewhat quicker process overall.

After this move, you will need to manually locate the catalogs so Retrospect can find them. Assuming that the wiped boot volume is one of your usual backup sources, you will also need to forget the old boot volume in Configure> Volumes and add the new volume to your scripts

For more information about this process, see page 162, "Moving Retrospect," in the User's Guide.

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed a reinstall of my Backup machine. I've reinstalled Retrospect 6.1.

Copied over the 2 preference files: com.dantz.Retrospect.plist & LaunchRetroPref file located in the retrospect fielder // However this has not copied over my scripts from my previous machine.

is there a way to copy or save the scripts so i don't have to manually recreate them all?

Carefully re-read twickland's response to you above. It gave all the correct information to do exactly what you are trying to do.

Your statement of what you did:

Copied over the 2 preference files: com.dantz.Retrospect.plist & LaunchRetroPref file located in the retrospect fielder

does not begin to approximate the instructions that twickland gave. Try again, read twickland's post carefully:

Yes, you can back up Retrospect's settings. They are located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, with the most important file being Retro.Config.

For more information about this process, see page 162, "Moving Retrospect," in the User's Guide.

Russ