Backing up instead of syncing

We use the retrospect server to "backup" data on a number of computers on a weekly basis.

Just recently someone deleted some data off one of the computers and didn't realize until after the retrospect backup took place. On checking the retrospect server I noticed that the data had also been removed there as well.

So it seems Retrospect is syncing the data and not backing it up. How can I change it so that data is not removed from retrsopect when it runs a backup?

Regards.

We use the retrospect server to "backup" data on a number of computers on a weekly basis.

Ok, we will take your word for it that you have Retrospect set up for a "backup" rather than a "duplicate" (copy).

So it seems Retrospect is syncing the data and not backing it up.

Not if you have it set for backups.

How can I change it so that data is not removed from retrsopect when it runs a backup?

Unless your data has been "groomed" out by your setting of a too-short grooming threshold, your data is still there.

Search for an older snapshot, restore from that. You are probably only looking at the most recent snapshot view, which is the default. See the "Add Snapshot" button when you restore. Details in the Users Guide.

Russ

When I look at my snapshots I only have one, and this contains a copy of all the data that was backed up at the time the script was run. If I delete a file on the computer it’s also deleted from the snapshot.

You mention a setting where you can switch from sync mode to backup but I’m not able to find it. Can you give me a pointer please?

Regards.

When I look at my snapshots I only have one, and this contains a copy of all the data that was backed up at the time the script was run. If I delete a file on the computer it’s also deleted from the snapshot.

Please carefully re-read my post. Your past snapshots are there, but just not shown. You have to get Retrospect to add them to the view. By default, all you are shown is the most recent snapshot because that's the most common restore point. The "Add Snapshot" button is the key.

You haven't provided any information about the version of Retrospect you are using (x.x.x), so it's hard for me to point you to the right portion of the correct User's Guide.

If, by chance, you are running the most recent copy of Windows Retrospect (7.6.x), here is the User's Manual for 7.5 / 7.6:

Retrospect 7.5 / 7.6 Users Guide

See the "Tip" at the end of page 74, the discussion on page 94, and the discussion of "Add Snapshot" on page 122.

You mention a setting where you can switch from sync mode to backup but I’m not able to find it. Can you give me a pointer please?

There is no "sync mode", but you can set things up to duplicate (copy) rather than backup. Duplicates (copies) have no snapshots. If you are seeing snapshots, then you are doing backups.

Please read the sections of the manual indicated above.

Russ

Hi Russ I just wanted to get back to you to let you know that the "Add Snapshot" button was the key.

As you mentioned in your last post Retrospect only shows the last most current snapshot so it appeared to me that the files were being removed from retrospect.

Now I can see its not showing the file in the most current snapshot and using the add snapshot button allows me to open an older snapshot where the file does exist.

Thanks for your help.