Apple Mail Server and Daylight Backup with retrospect

Hi,

I have a test Apple Mail Server running and a Daylite Database Application we are using retrospect to backup the bootable drive we have. I was told that doing a live backup would corrupt the Apple Mail database and possibly Daylight database.

How do I take action when backing up a live server?

Edited by Guest

Hi,I was told that doing a live backup would corrupt the Apple Mail database and possibly Daylight database.

How do I take action when backing up a live server?

It's not the backup that will corrupt the cyrus and Daylight database; it's that the backup will be of an inconsistent state of each database, which will result in a corrupt database on restore.

Basically, you have to shut each database down, replicate the databases, bring the database up live again, back up the replicas.

It's rather straightforward to script the stopping of the Apple Mail (cyrus) service, do the replication, restart the mail service, and cause Retrospect to back up the replica. Similar for the Daylight database. Use "trigger scripts" in the Retrospect Event Handler.

Many people use the freeware "mailbfr" script from osx.topicdesk.com to do the cyrus stop/replicate/start. See:

mailbfr

If you can't figure out how to do the scripting, send me a private message in these forums with your email address and a request, and I will email you our heavily-modified Retrospect Event Handler AppleScript to get you started.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply and for the elaboration on the topic. I can't figure out how to send private message to you.

I am still new to this setup specially retrospect and to be honest with you I do not know where to start.

I can't figure out where to send private message to you my email address would be

xxxxxxxx

thanks for sharing

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the quick reply and for the elaboration on the topic. I can't figure out how to send private message to you.

Ok' date=' email sent with attachments. You might want to delete your email address from the forums, or you might get SPAMmed.

Enjoy.

Russ[/quote']

thanks again russ..

Daylite contains a preference setting to dump a compressed backup file on a daily schedule. That file can be used to Restore to a new Daylite installation for disaster recovery.

Daylte 3.8 uses OpenBase, and the OpenBase Manager program can be used to schedule multiple such backups as well, giving you more point-in-time backup files.

Daylite 3.9 changed to SQL, and I haven't used it yet to know if there are more options above what's in the program's "Administration" preference pane. But there are probably similar options in the new version, too.

Dave